Sick hen with weird green poop

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
One of my 2 year old ISA Brown hens is sick. This started a couple of days ago. I found her in the running acting lethargic. Her poop had been runny for a few days by this point, but she had been eating. So two days ago, I gave her a warm soak, and she laid a no shell egg...just the membrane and yolk. She acted fine again after that , and was very hungry and thirsty.
Yesterday and today, she has been lethargic again. No eggs. I did the soak thing again, but nothing this time. She did, however, eat. I had mixed some calcium and vitamin d3 into what she ate.
Here is the weird part, she pooped this green poop, but it looks like a green earth worm? It is hard to explain..it’s like it has a skin on it. Hard to see in the photo.

not sure what I should do for this girl. Should I try worming her? Not sure if this is related or not, but it seems to have started after I let them free range in the yard for a couple of hours few days ago.

Attachments

• 8F9D56C4-C349-486B-8675-F79360D65E3B.jpeg
    8F9D56C4-C349-486B-8675-F79360D65E3B.jpeg
    977.3 KB · Views: 20
I think DE has mixed reviews for worming, we used Flubenvet here in the U.K., you can buy it already mixed in a layers feed, or as a powder to dose yourself. There are a number of really good de worming posts on this forum, so give it a good search!

I’ve recently had a similar issue with our girls, allowed to free range more and obviously enjoyed A few too many earthy creatures! And all 3 stopped laying and we had to go through a process of ruling out what was up, then I spotted some roundworms in their poop! Week of worming treatment, healthy poops and eggs again!

Good luck!!
I have safeguard, and started a five day round of that today. Hopefully it’s that.

I think DE has mixed reviews for worming, we used Flubenvet here in the U.K., you can buy it already mixed in a layers feed, or as a powder to dose yourself. There are a number of really good de worming posts on this forum, so give it a good search!

I’ve recently had a similar issue with our girls, allowed to free range more and obviously enjoyed A few too many earthy creatures! And all 3 stopped laying and we had to go through a process of ruling out what was up, then I spotted some roundworms in their poop! Week of worming treatment, healthy poops and eggs again!

Good luck!!

Update...I’m on day four of the Safeguard treatment. The hen in question has been acting fairly normal over the last four days. She has been active, poop looks normal, crop is empty every morning. However, she still has not layed any eggs, but does go and spend about an hour in the nest box each day trying to lay.

She could really use a break from laying. I don’t even know the last time she didn’t lay, before all this started.

Well..she actually ate some of her Normal feed today, and I did see her drinking water. I have been putting Corid in their water now for three days. Maybe Cocci was part of the problem?
I’m not ready to declare victory for her yet. However, her activity level today was certainly way better than it has been for many days.
She got into the run of my five week olds, and started eating their chick crumbles. Again, big improvement from even yesterday.

Oh, and same hen has had this going on for a year now. She has never molted. I checked her for lice and mites, but see nothing.

Attachments

• 8649FC32-B582-4E61-8ACE-B7B723971CED.jpeg
    8649FC32-B582-4E61-8ACE-B7B723971CED.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 15
Also, how many winters has your non-molting chicken gone through? It isn't uncommon for a hen to miss a molt 1 or even 2 winters.

It might be that they have worms, she has the symptoms; diarrhea, not laying regular eggs, and acting lethargic. To worm them: Buy Diatomaceous Earth and mix some into the flock's feed. You can look up the correct amounts of it to use per gallons of feed. While you're at it, sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth everywhere in the run and house to kill any fleas, mites, ticks, etc...

Back
Top Bottom