1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen with yellow face?Help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksinthemachine, Sep 23, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    What is causing this. We had one we named Sickly when we received our newest flock and she died 2 days ago and today I noticed that another one is getting this yellow coloring on her face also. What is causing this? Any ideas? WE have them on layer crumbles and corn ,straw bedding,tretramacyin and vitamins plus treats like fruit mainly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Any pics available?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Why do you have them on Terramycin? How long have they been on it? How old are they and what breed?

4. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Long story short version. We recently received some hens from someone in very poor condition mites,lice,missing feathers, pecked a lot, very thin and some are very old, bare bottomed, pasty butt, we even did a chicken hysterectomy on one because she had a 4 1/2 pound mass (internal layer) so as you can see we are doing everything to make them healthier and happier, but I don't know what is causing this one to have this going on and I have no clue what the problem is.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, okay - I recall the thread of the hysterectomy - nice job on that!

If you can post some pics, it would be most helpful. Is this one eating or drinking?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If her face is turning yellow, my guess it's liver failure. But I hope I'm wrong

7. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Yes she is eating and drinking well.

8. PeeperKeeper

If it is liver related you'll want to stop the antibiotics. Some are excreted in the urine but some are processed through the liver and if you are using anothe "poison" or dust to treat mites, it may be over taxing the liver to filter it out. Some poisons can be absorbed via the skin or by inhalation and still have to pass through the liver.

9. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    [​IMG]
    Here she is, any ideas?
    Sorry for the bad pic, but compared to the other hens she has a very yellow face just like the hen that we put down a couple of days ago.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  10. PeeperKeeper

Really does remind me of a liver involvement. Is this one you got as a rescue? Possibly worm infestation? Liver Flukes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by