Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyv, Feb 28, 2017.

1. emilyv

emilyv Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    One of my 2 year old hens stopped eating and drinking a couple days ago and now is just sleeping in a corner, looks like she doesn't have a lot of time left. I can't figure out what's wrong with her though- I've examined her twice now and can't see anything physically wrong with her. She looks clean/healthy/vibrant. I've checked her all over. I can't imagine it's something like worms since my other 7 hens are perfectly healthy/acting normal. Any suggestions? I'm not sure she's going to make it past today but I'd like to try helping her if I can...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually when there is no signs of obvious illnesses it is something internal and you can do nothing for them except to put them out of their misery. Sorry, I have had no luck fixing sick chickens.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, but is she sick or might she be broody?

4. emilyv

emilyv Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    I don't think so, she isn't sitting on any eggs and she seems very listless

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I agree. It's probably best to put the hen out of her misery. We've had to put down a couple of hens due to "internal laying". So sorry you're having to deal with this. [​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry your hen is ill. If she passes you might want to consider having a necropsy done:

Or try doing your own:

7. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi. There could be multiple things that may be going on with her. Is she able to stand? Eat and drink on her own? If not, she might be vitamin deficient. Does her abdomen feel hard? If so, she may be 'egg bounded'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by