Sick hen

emilyv

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2017
One of my 2 year old hens stopped eating and drinking a couple days ago and now is just sleeping in a corner, looks like she doesn't have a lot of time left. I can't figure out what's wrong with her though- I've examined her twice now and can't see anything physically wrong with her. She looks clean/healthy/vibrant. I've checked her all over. I can't imagine it's something like worms since my other 7 hens are perfectly healthy/acting normal. Any suggestions? I'm not sure she's going to make it past today but I'd like to try helping her if I can...

Usually when there is no signs of obvious illnesses it is something internal and you can do nothing for them except to put them out of their misery. Sorry, I have had no luck fixing sick chickens.

I don't think so, she isn't sitting on any eggs and she seems very listless

Usually when there is no signs of obvious illnesses it is something internal and you can do nothing for them except to put them out of their misery. Sorry, I have had no luck fixing sick chickens.

I agree. It's probably best to put the hen out of her misery. We've had to put down a couple of hens due to "internal laying". So sorry you're having to deal with this.
sad.png

One of my 2 year old hens stopped eating and drinking a couple days ago and now is just sleeping in a corner, looks like she doesn't have a lot of time left. I can't figure out what's wrong with her though- I've examined her twice now and can't see anything physically wrong with her. She looks clean/healthy/vibrant. I've checked her all over. I can't imagine it's something like worms since my other 7 hens are perfectly healthy/acting normal. Any suggestions? I'm not sure she's going to make it past today but I'd like to try helping her if I can...
Sorry your hen is ill. If she passes you might want to consider having a necropsy done:

Or try doing your own:

Hi. There could be multiple things that may be going on with her. Is she able to stand? Eat and drink on her own? If not, she might be vitamin deficient. Does her abdomen feel hard? If so, she may be 'egg bounded'.

Back
Top Bottom