Sick hen

Erika Koehn

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2017
Today one of my hens looks sick... it looks like her comb is turning purple and she doesn’t move around much at all! Could someone help me?

The hen is a Rhode Island Red... I have not weighed her and she has only acted like this today....

What part of the world do you live in?
Could she have frost bite?

Usually purple is NOT a good sign.
Can you take a short video of her and upload it to YouTube now?

OKAY! This might be a problem. I am in Arizona area and there is an outbreak of Newcastle in Coconino County(I am in Pima, Vail). Is she has mucus and purple comb and maybe eyes puffy or infected it will be Newcastle's. There is almost no cure of New Castles that I am aware of. If it is New Castles then you have to cull the bird and probably the entire flock. Hopefully its not:fl:hit

A purple comb can be a sign that her heart is not working well or that she is not getting enough oxygen. Can you answer some of the questions about her age, if she has been laying eggs, and if she has been eating/drinking and if so, what? In CA, there are very inexpensive necropsies available in case you lose her, to get a diagnosis. I would try to get some fluids into her right away, and electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench would be good to use as well. Pictures may be helpful as well.

This is my chicken and the feed

Attachments

• 2EDE4076-135A-4A34-8FAA-E8A17F4BED61.jpeg
    2EDE4076-135A-4A34-8FAA-E8A17F4BED61.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom