Sick hen

Mmmm ok we’ll see if I can remember to get to her first in the morning... and no her vent is not dirty....
Be sure to feel the abdomen, check for an egg - while your at it, you may also want to look her over for lice/mites.

I understand what you are saying about the comb - it is flopped over a bit, some combs are like that. It does have some scabs on it - not unusual. The color is also a little off - heart problems? reproductive problems? respiratory disease? Something else? All possibilities - sometimes you don't know until a hen dies and necropsy is performed, but the best you can do is try to rule out some of the more common issues normally seen in hens.

Ok I believe she has an egg still in her .... but is there something I can do before feeling for it:D

What are but supposed to do if she has an egg in her.... And her poop is kinda yellow and runny Idk how to describe it.... She was having trouble breathing.... But now she is doing better like she doesn't have trouble breathing and her comb color is way better but she still is a little slow....

What are but supposed to do if she has an egg in her.... And her poop is kinda yellow and runny Idk how to describe it.... She was having trouble breathing.... But now she is doing better like she doesn't have trouble breathing and her comb color is way better but she still is a little slow....
Did you ever feel inside the vent for an egg? Is she able to poop?
Your last post was 6 days or so ago - if she had an egg stuck in the oviduct (Egg Bound) she would likely have expired by now - usually within 48 hours.

If it's a reproductive disorder like Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis - then there is not a lot that can be done. If the difficulty breathing is from fluid in the belly (Ascites) that sometimes accompanies reproductive problems, that fluid can be drained to give some relief and comfort for a short period of time.
With mine that have had similar troubles, I monitor them - see if they are drinking/eating. Sometimes the crop will also get slow and not empty well. You will have to make a determination of how bad of shape she really is in and either continue to offer supportive care or if she is in misery/suffering, end it for her.
If she is slowly improving, give her some time - keep her hydrated, give some poultry vitamins, egg and see that she is eating. Do check her very regularly for lice/mites, hens that are unwell do not usually dust bath and can get overloaded in a hurry.

My neighbor did and he said there wasn't an egg in her.... and I figured if she did have an egg still in her I thought she would have died already... so idk what is up? Do u think it would b ok to still keep her separated or maybe I could put her with the rest?

My neighbor did and he said there wasn't an egg in her.... and I figured if she did have an egg still in her I thought she would have died already... so idk what is up? Do u think it would b ok to still keep her separated or maybe I could put her with the rest?
Can she eat/drink on her own and is she able to defend herself? If she can, then you may want to start re-integrating her.

Back
Top Bottom