Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PaigeDL, Jun 17, 2019.

1. PaigeDL

PaigeDL In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    i noticed one of my hens laying down and I went to pick her up and she was skin and bones. I brought her in and gave her water with a syringe then forced fed her some dog food trying to get some nutrients in her. That was last night. This morning there is no change. I gave her more water and dog food. Still no change. No poop at all in her carrier. Her feathers are puffed out and her eyes are closed. What can I do for her?

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    How old is she and when did she last lay? Can you post a picture?

Sequel and Eggcessive like this.
  3. PaigeDL

PaigeDL In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    I think she’ abt 5 or 6 maybe. She has no feathers on the top of head due to breeding by our rooster. I’m not sure if she still lays or not. I have abt 10 hens with her so I don’t know whose laying or not. Oh she did have some food stuff in her mouth that to me was stuck. I got it out last night.

Attached Files:

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Could be a reproductive issue if she's that old. It's a miracle if chickens lay past four years of age.

5. PaigeDL

PaigeDL In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    Hummmm. I don’t know. Maybe. I guess it’s a wait and see game then. I’ll keep giving her food and water I guess. Thank you for your help.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Why not see if she'll eat a nutrient rich treat like scrambled egg(no salt added).

Sequel likes this.
  7. PaigeDL

PaigeDL In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    I sure can try! She is barely responsive. I would have to force feed her. I’ll try anything!

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  8. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Be sure not to add salt. However, if you have any oregano, preferably fresh, see if she'll try that to. It's supposed to help with immune systems.

9. jlwquilter

jlwquilter Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    Did you check her crop? Hard or balloon-ish? Her beak, mouth and throat for lesions or placque? Her vent for discharge?

Just trying to cover the handful of things I’ve recently learned to check.

Sequel and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  10. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: