sick hen

eltucan

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 7, 2016
We have a brown lohmann who must be 6 or 7 years old now and as tough as they come, always boss hen, she has survived numerous dog, fox and pine marten attacks and is the oldest member of our flock. But a couple of days ago she didn't come for breakfast with the rest and is standing by herself feeling very sorry for herself, I have put her in her own hut and given her yogurt and layers pellets but she only pecks at them half heartedly and justs stands looking miserable the rest of the time. I have checked her for mites and her crop goes down overnight although there does seem to be a small few lumpy bits in the crop.
If I had gone down to find her passed away I would say she had had a good innings and miss her, but this illness is heartbreaking do I keep her isolated and hope she picks up? any ideas on things I could try?
I have had ex-battery hens that have got sick and taken them to the vet who says they are not bred to last long and just suggests putting them down, so not hopeful that if I take her to the vet he will be able to do much.
Help please.

Back
Top Bottom