Sick hen

nknkdvt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Texas
My Rhode Island Red gurgles when she is breathing. It’s coming from her chest I think. Is there anything to do for this? She is losing weight and comb is lying to side. Any antibiotics?

My Rhode Island Red gurgles when she is breathing. It’s coming from her chest I think. Is there anything to do for this? She is losing weight and comb is lying to side. Any antibiotics?

Hi @nknkdvt are you able to make a video and upload this to YouTube or vimeo and post the link here?

how is her food and water intake?

I would NOT bleach the coop as bleach could make other chickens sick. it sounds like she had some sort of infection I would send the chicken to a lab and see why she died. it's not to expensive. here in cali i sent one and tests was like $24 and found out the chicken had a weak heart and that was why she died. i was scared it was VND and it was not.
you need to have that bird tested asap to know if you need to treat your other chickens so they don't get ill

I'm sorry for your loss. that sucks. I just had a baby chick die and i know how it sucks to see them die.

When you lose a chicken, if you want to know what was wrong, the best thing to do is to get a necropsy by your state vet. If the chicken was gurgling, that could be a respiratory disease or crop contants coming back up into the throat from a sour crop. Did you hear any sneezing, congestion, or see watery/bubbly eyes?

Now her sister has the same thing. Noticed gurgling tonight. If I hold her I can feel it in her chest. How would I find a state vet in Texas? Near San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom