Sick Hen

Nfrederick

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hi, I have a sick hen. Pretty sure she is a Black Jersey Giant. She is 14 months old. Her posture is off. She holds her head close to her at all times as if she is resting, her waddle is a bit pale. She had a little bit of poo on her back feathers, but her vent looks clean. She seems lethargic, not moving around. Pretty sure she isn't eating or drinking. I have been giving her some electrolyte water today via syringe. She has been drinking that. This has been going on at least 2 days. Any ideas on how to help her? She hasn't laid an egg in the last 2-3 days .

Attachments

• 20210416_083326.jpg
    20210416_083326.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 4
I would check her for egg binding by inserting a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for an obstruction. What do her droppings look like? Pictures are welcome. Is her tail position up or down? Her crop looks large in the picture. Can you hold her and feel her crop, and tell us if it feels empty and flat, full, hard, putty-like, or puffy soft? Smell her breath for a sour or bad odor. Has she been drinking a lot of water or having any neck movement that might be from adjusting her crop. Have you wormed her recently? Can you look her over for any lice or mites on her skin?

I would check her for egg binding by inserting a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for an obstruction. What do her droppings look like? Pictures are welcome. Is her tail position up or down? Her crop looks large in the picture. Can you hold her and feel her crop, and tell us if it feels empty and flat, full, hard, putty-like, or puffy soft? Smell her breath for a sour or bad odor. Has she been drinking a lot of water or having any neck movement that might be from adjusting her crop. Have you wormed her recently? Can you look her over for any lice or mites on her skin?
I will check for egg binding as soon as my daughter gets home and can hold her. No sour smells. I haven't seen her eat or drink other than what I gave her via syringe today. I haven't ever wormed her. No neck movement. I haven't seen her poop yet. I have her inside now. She is a fluffy chicken. It's hard to tell about her crop but when I push/feel around. It seems empty. Her tail is up when sitting down and down when standing up.

Attachments

• 20210416_114812.jpg
    20210416_114812.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210416_113105.jpg
    20210416_113105.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 3
She tried to poo a little yesterday. Not much came out. Not bugs have been seen. Just checked for egg impact but didn't feel anything. Can I give corid or nutri drench?

Back
Top Bottom