sick hen

mamacass

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Hello all,
This is my 1st chat experence!! I will do into later as of now i am so stressed to help my hen. 3 days previous hen didn't go in hen house for bed. Tail low and sulking. I brought her in and looked for answer. Eggbound? constapated? infection? Bottom red, swollen, caked with poo. She is heavy breed 9mo old. I bathed her, oiled vent, sprayed with herbal mixture on bottom for swelling. NOTHING! She did poo some after some greens and olive oil. Not sure what balance to feed her. Legs starting to not work well on day2. Getting weak.. Eyes still bright! alot of panting. Looked for egg with internal exam(not pretty) nothing, only some egg white? Fed vitamin supp. and gave extra cal this morning. She is useing wings and can't stand. Im so sad for her!! HELP

I just went through this a few weeks ago. The exact same thing! It sounds like you are doing all the right things as I did.

Keep her isolated from the others and keep her warm. I fed mine a chopped up boiled egg. (I could not justify a trip to the vet with mine, but if you can, you could take her.) I first noticed my girl sick on a Sunday and she passed away the following Friday.
hit.gif

I really hope she recovers. I felt a little better knowing mine was warm and comfortable when her time came. Take Care.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the support! This is our first time raising chickens and it's all new to me but im a quick learner and i love eggs! AND now chickens!! I never knew how cool they were, could sit and observe for hours if i had the time..

My sweet ckicken is not doing so well. I do have her on a heating pad and she is super comfortable. If we were to take her out of her misery i can't even think of a way i could tolerate after bonding with her. Something non violent... She can't stand and flaps her wings around for balance so sad.. She has slowed down on any intrest of eating and drinking. Her comb is losing its luster. She is still so pretty. I'll hate to lose her i was looking forward to breeding her. Thanks for your replys and caring info.. Sorry about your loss. I too cannot bring her to a vet. Gotta run!! Cass

Back
Top Bottom