Sick hen

ashlierami

Songster
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a 6-7month old hen. About 2 weeks ago she laid her first egg. About 2 days later she laid another egg and had a shell less egg coming out of her vent. I removed what I could of this and ever since then she hasn't been the same. She had runny poop that resembled yolk but she continued with her day. She hasn't laid since and she has become weak and not interested in her usual treats she once loved. She's often foraging by herself and her crop is squishy like it's just full of water no food. This morning I let her out of the coop and she was weak and walking slowly. Could this be impacted crop? Sour crop? Or a reproduction issue? She was perfect until she started to lay.

Attachments

• 20211011_074312_HDR.jpg
    20211011_074312_HDR.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 0

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It can be common for a new layer to have a shell-less egg, but it can sometimes be a problem. Do you feed layer feed, and do you put crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium. They can have a problem with a calcium deficiency, and sometimes have salpingitis or other reproductive issues that can cause shell-less eggs. Just passing shell--less eggs or having problems laying, can make them feel bad and weak. I would try to give some human calcium tablet once a day for 2-3 days.

ashlierami

Songster
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
It can be common for a new layer to have a shell-less egg, but it can sometimes be a problem. Do you feed layer feed, and do you put crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium. They can have a problem with a calcium deficiency, and sometimes have salpingitis or other reproductive issues that can cause shell-less eggs. Just passing shell--less eggs or having problems laying, can make them feel bad and weak. I would try to give some human calcium tablet once a day for 2-3 days.
Her crop has been fluid filled with a bad smell. I provided acc water and gave her monistat the 3 day treatment. I broke off a piece and gave it orally today is day 3 of that. I also provided her with boiled egg and the shell crushed to eat. There is oyster shell mixed into the feed I give her. Today her crop was empty this morning and she is not eating or drinking today. She sits down and stays in the coop.

Top Bottom