Sick hen?

Monochromekites

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2022
I have a white leghorn. She's naturally small even for her breed same with her sister coming up at about 3 pounds. She will be 2 years old in February. About 4 days ago she had an impacted crop. So I brought her inside and started a routine of coconut oil and gentle massage (this worked just fine for my Americana with an impacted crop). The issue resolved in about 2 days but due to her small size her body condition did drop so I started upping the protein with a 22% protein conditioning feed. However, she is now acting very lethargic and her comb is droopy and alternating between pale and a normal pink red. She still has an appetite especially for mealworm and she is still drinking. The food she eats is also moistened into a slurry for additional water content. There doesn't appear to be any blood or mucus in her poo but it smells atrocious like rotting eggs and garbage. Usually after a poo she will get a sudden burst of energy for couple minutes before sleeping again. Her breathing seems normal aside from light wheezing sounds while asleep that she has done since hatching. Any ideas what could be happening?

• Magic water for baby chicks simple instructions Simply fill your one gallon glass jar with warm water, add the honey, apple cider vinegar and smashed garlic and allow to steep. Best scenario would be to make your magic water the evening before your chicks will arrive. Make it and give it to her. but still give her the opportunity to drink water. Or go to your farm supply store and get CHICKEN electrolytes. Keep me posted!

Oftentimes crop issues stem from something else going on. When did she lay last? Any chance you can have a fecal float ran? Have you ever given a dewormer? Can you snap a picture of her next poop and share the picture? Have you noticed any dirty feathers around her vent? Any off smells from her mouth as you massaged her crop? I wonder if her crop contents had soured before you got them moving?

Hopefully someone here can help you or give you steps to take. I'm so sorry she's not feeling so well 💜

She has drastically improved overnight but still not out of the woods. She layed a rubber egg the last day she was impacted so about 3 days ago but hasn't since. I'm afraid all vet clinics around my area are refusing new clients of any kind due to lambing season getting off to a bad start. I have used natural preventives against parasites but also a dewormer earlier this autumn. She does have some dirty feathers near the vent but not directly around it. Some of it is staining from when she rolled in mud about a month ago during a big rain. She didn't have any weird smells coming from her mouth however the last day her crop still had a small mass but the rest of was a bit jelly like.

You could give her some human calcium + vitamin D3 tablets for 4-5 days to help build a good egg shell and maybe expel residues that might linger.

Sadly, high production breeds like Leghorns are prone to reproductive issues, as they start egg production too early, lay too many and way to big eggs for their own good.

Let her have some scrambled eggs and maybe a bit of rolled oats and millet to go with it, so her crop will get used to work again. And always malke sure to provide grit and crushed oyster shells free choice.

Good news. She seems to back to normal. I believe it may have been a case of fermented crop. She seems to have passed it because her poo has returned to normal consistency and smell and she's back to her mischief and mayhem. I will keep her inside for one more day to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom