Sick hen

Oh thank you! I do some wildlife rehab on the side too. TG I've not been in dire straights that I couldn't work around yet but I've tried to find it to have on hand for all of these reasons to no avail... šŸ˜•
Something about going to the fish section for a baby squirrel doesn't feel right to me... šŸ¤£

F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
One whole tab directly in the beak. She won't choke. One a day until she is behaving normally.

So as far as diet what do you guys recommend when you have roosters and hens together? I can't help but feel like this may have had something to do with it and I'm not sure I'm doing it the right way.

Check her abdomen and see if its bloated. (abdomen is located underneath the vent and in between the legs)
Does she waddle at all when she walks or runs?
Withhold food and water during the night and see if her crop is empty in the morning.
If she was egg bound she would have died by now.

Also, her poop doesn't look normal. It looks sort of watery and empty. Not really diarrhea though, more like they're just isn't much to poop out. And although her comb has more red to it today it's still floppy. I do have a bag of fluids on hand but I'm trying to get her to drink. I know how to do them on other animals but I'm hesitant to do them on a chicken because it kind of creeps me out how thin their skin is.
Her droppings look like that because she not eating much.

No she's not waddling when she walks. But when I probed her abdomen she wasn't as docile about it as some of the other things I've done. When she moves around she's moving normally just not nearly as much. Where in the world do y'all get your hands on amoxicillin? I know that would be better. Last time I had an old sick hen I called around just trying to find a vet that would help me humanely end her suffering and I couldn't find one that worked with chickens. Also can you do fluids on a hen?
I haven't got amoxicillin in awhile so I don't know where to get it. @azygous, @Wyorp Rock, and @Eggcessive would know where.
When you say fluids on a hen do you mean tube feeding?

Could it be the switch on food? We keep 10 hens and one rooster in a coup with a room. They've got a good bit of space but I also let them out regularly for free ranging. We just try to keep it eating and laying to the run and coop. I added the rooster about 6wks ago and he was about 9 weeks old. Gave him a little humility and he's doing really well with the hens. He is beginning to practice on them. But so far he has not been a vicious cereal rapist. She was a higher ranking member so he didn't mess with her too much anyway. So I don't think he would have hurt her. The top of her head and her comb did look pecked at. But I've seen a couple of the girls bullying a little since she's not feeling well. I'm wondering if this food change could be a problem? When you have 10 hens and one rooster do you feed the rooster laying pellets or do you give them all flock feed and offer endless calcium?
It could be the change in food, does she and the others eat it? Do they like it?

Back
Top Bottom