Sick hen

I'm just kind of at a loss. Some of y'all mentioned calcium citrate on some other posts. Just like for people? How much would you give them?

No I mean like sub q fluids. I just don't know anything about those with chickens. I'm used to cats and dogs and rats on those. Just thinking about hydration. She did drink a little water. Not really up for doing that now but I figured I'd ask in case it came to that. It's there a better way for chickens?
Not sure if you can do sub q on chickens, it would be better to just tube feed or use a dropper to get fluids in her. Or you could make a mash with the chicken feed by adding water to it.

Continue with the penicillin. It's possible she is egg bound with a collapsed egg. If that's the case, you have saved her life by starting her on the penicillin quickly. The only other critical thing she needs right now is a calcium citrate tablet. Get it at walmart. One a day to help contractions push the egg remains out.

Not sure if you can do sub q on chickens, it would be better to just tube feed or use a dropper to get fluids in her. Or you could make a mash with the chicken feed by adding water to it.
Good to know! Figured I'd ask in that one. She's not making me feel it's necessary as if now... Whew

Continue with the penicillin. It's possible she is egg bound with a collapsed egg. If that's the case, you have saved her life by starting her on the penicillin quickly. The only other critical thing she needs right now is a calcium citrate tablet. Get it at walmart. One a day to help contractions push the egg remains out.
I'll go get some! Thank you! How careful is the dose? Mg? Is it just what ever? The whole thing?

I'll go get some! Thank you! How careful is the dose? Mg? Is it just what ever? The whole thing? (Calcium) First time I've dosed penicillin for a chicken. Had to dig a bit. Have the 300,000. Giving her a hair over .25cc and she's 6lbs. Good?

I haven't got amoxicillin in awhile so I don't know where to get it. @azygous, @Wyorp Rock, and @Eggcessive would know where.
When you say fluids on a hen do you mean tube feeding?
Oh thank you! I do some wildlife rehab on the side too. TG I've not been in dire straights that I couldn't work around yet but I've tried to find it to have on hand for all of these reasons to no avail... 😕

Back
Top Bottom