Sick Hen

Hello, she isn't eating. She took a few bites of her tums food mash. I gave her some tums via syringe about an hour ago. About 15 minutes after I set her back in her nest box, she made a gurgling noise and I smelled a foul smell. I'm suspecting sour crop. I still haven't felt or have seen an egg. She is only drinking the Epsom salt water in her baths. So, I'll just keep giving her Epsom salt baths every few hours add extra salt, so she drinks it, and disinfects her crop. I am going to get her some apple cider vinegar, and probiotics as well. She will be wormed tonight. The store is waiting on a truck to arrive, and will call me. No calls back from the vets, I've left more messages. Anything else I can do? She is isolated and staying in a heated barn bathroom.

I'd take care that she doesn't drink too much of the epsom salts water. While it can be given as a flush for crop issues, it's dehydrating, so you'll want to make sure she's drinking fresh plain water as well.

Having a foul smell along with the gurgling, you are likely right about this being sour crop, but do look inside her beak for yellow or white pasty material/lesion that would indicate canker.

The treatments I use for crop issues are in this article
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for the information. I will pick some of that up in the am. Her tail is still down. She drank aome sugar water earlier. I still am not feeling an egg. I've checked her a few times now. She isn't wanting to eat. She did take a very small amount of Greek yogurt off of my finger. I just gave her some ACV water. Should I remove for tonight, and give just plain water? She had a runny poop earlier. She just had a bunch of clear fluid with a little fecal matter come out of her rear end. It is foul smelling. What is that?
I'd take care that she doesn't drink too much of the epsom salts water. While it can be given as a flush for crop issues, it's dehydrating, so you'll want to make sure she's drinking fresh plain water as well.

Having a foul smell along with the gurgling, you are likely right about this being sour crop, but do look inside her beak for yellow or white pasty material/lesion that would indicate canker.

The treatments I use for crop issues are in this article
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
article

Thank you for the information. I will pick some of that up in the am. Her tail is still down. She drank aome sugar water earlier. I still am not feeling an egg. I've checked her a few times now. She isn't wanting to eat. She did take a very small amount of Greek yogurt off of my finger. I just gave her some ACV water. Should I remove for tonight, and give just plain water? She had a runny poop earlier. She just had a bunch of clear fluid with a little fecal matter come out of her rear end. It is foul smelling. What is that?

article
There is a patch of white in the clear fluid that came out of her rear. I'm sorry my camera is broke. I'm going to attempt to do the selfie side of the phone to get a photo.

Patch of white in clear fluid sounds like urates.
I'd try to get her hydrated and get some Calcium into her. Treat her for sour crop too, but often a crop that is slow or sour is a symptom due to an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infection, worms, etc.

Patch of white in clear fluid sounds like urates.
I'd try to get her hydrated and get some Calcium into her. Treat her for sour crop too, but often a crop that is slow or sour is a symptom due to an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infection, worms, etc.
Thank you. I have her in her bed now with just plain water. I'm going to do a Coccidiosis type cleaning in the coop tomorrow, and disinfect. She and the ducks like to play in the water bins and the dirt gets moist. What brand of wormer do you use? I had someone pick up wormer at the store for me and they sent her back with Duravet goat wormer pellets, in a bag. My camera didn't work. I couldn't get a photo. It was a puddle of foul water looking fluid with white that came out of her rear. Should I possibly treat her and the others for Coccidiosis? I'm sorry, their owner (ex-husband) is out of the country working.

I'd send the wormer pellets back and just get Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or you can use the Safeguard Equine Paste. Both are the same dosing, posted below.

Treating for Coccidiosis you'd use Corid (Amprolium). For Poultry, liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or powder Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't give any extra supplements or vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

If the ground is wet a lot, then treating for both worms and coccidiosis would be a good step to take.

To treat worms, you can use Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

I'd send the wormer pellets back and just get Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or you can use the Safeguard Equine Paste. Both are the same dosing, posted below.

Treating for Coccidiosis you'd use Corid (Amprolium). For Poultry, liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or powder Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't give any extra supplements or vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

If the ground is wet a lot, then treating for both worms and coccidiosis would be a good step to take.
Thank you so much for helping me. I feel so bad for her. I will give these a go. Is it safe to treat for both worms and Coccidiosis at the same time? Is there a preference of how you would do it? I am giving her some calcium via syringe orally now. I'll give her some ACV water in the am. She's tired.

Thank you so much for helping me. I feel so bad for her. I will give these a go. Is it safe to treat for both worms and Coccidiosis at the same time? Is there a preference of how you would do it? I am giving her some calcium via syringe orally now. I'll give her some ACV water in the am. She's tired.
You can treat with both at the same time.

I'm sorry that she's not improving, sometimes they don't no matter what you try.

You can treat with both at the same time.

I'm sorry that she's not improving, sometimes they don't no matter what you try.
Thank you. Hopefully she will respond to treatment. Her owner just stated he couldn't remember when he last wormed them. So, I am going to treat for both as per your instructions. I will offer her yogurt with some soaked feed and ACV water in the am. I just washed her rear end as more foul smelling fluid came out. I will keep you posted tomorrow. Thank you so much!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom