Sick Hen

Thanks for responding. I just don't want to give her corid if it will have an interaction with the antibiotics. Apparently lash egg and coccidiosis are similar symptoms. With the masses she passed I'm leaning away from coccidiosis but if I can give antibiotics and corid I will just to try. She has been in the AC since Thursday afternoon. We take her out of the crate early in the morning and evenings. She is drinking on her own. The only thing she will eat is 5 grain scratch but I figure that's better than nothing right now. Antibiotics could have something to do with that I reckon because she was enjoying chopped up boiled eggs until antibiotics treatment.

No blood in her poop. It is yellow diarrhea with a blob of green (probably bile). It was a bit explosive earlier but haven't came across any of those lash eggs or masses again.

Maybe a shot of water wont hurt just to make sure she is getting enough. Maybe tractor supply has them. Amazon will probably take too long.

Yeah we had a heat advisory today. It was miserable just walking outside. We have a big fan outside for the other chickens. They usually just lay in front of it to cool down.

Also she hasn't been laying for most of 2023. I just chalked it up to how productive she has been since she began. She laid pretty much every day even in winter.

Chickens are great until crap like this happens 🙁 Sometimes you just feel helpless. Wish they could just tell you what they were feeling.

Looks like Salpingitis to me. Could be the reason why she's not been laying eggs this year.
Cephalexin dose is 35-50mg per kg given 4 times a day for 7days, so if you don't have enough to dose her, then I'd work on getting some Amoxicillin. You can order it online.

It won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis if you wish, likely it is not a factor, but the Corid won't hurt her.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Ivermectin is not that effective of a wormer anymore, if you are wanting to treat worms, then use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row or Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Thanks for your reply.

I've been doing about 100mg (she's 1.8kg or 4 lbs) twice a day just because I saw that on poulrydvm website. I just upped the morning dose a bit to closer to 200mg. With the work week twice a day is probably all we can do.

We got another lash egg this morning. About the same size of a peanut. Very soft and sticky. Cut it open and there are no layers in it. Just tissue. Got her to eat a raw egg this morning. She seemed to enjoy it. Probably won't worry about corid since these are obviously lash eggs. I'm guarded but I think it's a good sign they are passing and they aren't as big or nasty as the pictures I've seen online where they have all sorts of layers.

Here are a few pictures of today's lash egg.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_122939469.jpg
    PXL_20230827_122939469.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230827_122933936.jpg
    PXL_20230827_122933936.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230827_122931150.jpg
    PXL_20230827_122931150.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230827_122818842.jpg
    PXL_20230827_122818842.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 4
She laid 2 or 3 more lash eggs. One was like 1 piece but kinda 2 pieces. Maybe a little firmer inside then what's it's been but no crazy looking insides. We gave her a bath to clean her up and let her abdomen soak in some warm water.

She had a other 200mg dose of antibiotics about 2 hours ago. Going to finish the whole treatment of antibiotics and then go from there. Hopefully the more frequent lash eggs are her body working with the antibiotics but I'm just being hopeful I'm sure.

Also she hasn't been laying for most of 2023. I just chalked it up to how productive she has been since she began. She laid pretty much every day even in winter.

Chickens are great until crap like this happens 🙁 Sometimes you just feel helpless. Wish they could just tell you what they were feeling.
I feel this way every time one of mine gets sick. It has gotten easier over the years, but it is still really sad, and always feels like there is a cloud over me for days or weeks.

I haven't had a sick one in months, I should really stop and kiss my lucky boots. I start taking it for granted, and forget how it feels when one is sick.

Bertha Update:

No lash eggs since I found more yesterday morning. We found around 10 grasshoppers/crickets in the yard yesterday and she gobbled them down. She is also picking more at her crumble mash. I've added apple cider vinegar to her water as well. Still dosing the antibiotics for a few more days.

She doesn't appear to be getting worse at least. Seeing her eat is promising. She's still drinking.

Hopefully no more lash eggs today. We will see.

Bertha Update:

No lash eggs since I found more yesterday morning. We found around 10 grasshoppers/crickets in the yard yesterday and she gobbled them down. She is also picking more at her crumble mash. I've added apple cider vinegar to her water as well. Still dosing the antibiotics for a few more days.

She doesn't appear to be getting worse at least. Seeing her eat is promising. She's still drinking.

That's great news. I think that the key is to just enjoy all the time you get with her. She could outlive other flockmates, or she could decline. I have heard stories of both.

Bertha Update:

It's good that she's still getting on a little.
When possible, try to get her out with or near the flock in fresh air/sunshine, it seems to brighten them up even when they don't feel very well.

I hope the meds help with infection and she'll improve for while.

Back
Top Bottom