Sick Hen

Eggofarms

Chirping
Aug 18, 2020
Our Bertha girl is just over 3 years. She was very productive up until the beginning of this year but is no longer laying since She is a Rhode island red.

Anyway, she has pale comb, lethargic, weak when standing. Not eating much except scrambled eggs now but is drinking.

We thought worms or mites. We gave her about 3-4 drops of 5mg ivermectin (she is 4lbs even but may have been losing some weight) and today is day 2 of treatment. Plan on reapplying in 10 days. After treatment we were able to get a stool sample and took it to a vet who said they didn't see anything. It's been diarrheaish with a darkish green tint to it. Kind of sticky

It's also extremely hot here. 98+ in Georgia. We brought her in yesterday to spend a few days/nights in the ac. Gave her access to electrolyte water, her normal flock raiser food, and keep a chopped up boiled egg in there since she seems to eat that well.

Anyway, her comb is still pale and still seems week but we took her out early this morning when it was cool to stretch her legs and she pecked around at some grasses, etc. Actually moved around a decent amount compared to her taking a few steps and laying down and repeat. However, I came home from lunch and gave her some company. She pecked at the egg some I assume from the splatter inside and drank when I was there. Her pooped looked...better. I couldn't stay to investigate it but will tonight. She excreted these white little peanut looking things.

Does anyone have any idea what they are? Could be urea I guess but they look smooth and solid. I am attaching a pic.

Thanks for any help figuring it out.

Attachments

• 1000001670.jpg
    1000001670.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 257
Also wanted to add we checked her feet real good. No signs of cuts or bumblefoot. Going to check her crop extra well this evening after work. No coughing, no discharge from nose or mouth.

This may be coccidiosis. I am going to start her and the entire flock on corid after work. The symptoms fit her it seems.

I will when I get home. Never even heard of lash egg but after looking it up those could be it.

I don't believe we have any antibiotics but I'll have to ask around.

Not sure if there is one specific for that ailment, but Aqua-mox for fish is the one usually recommended on here for chickens. Hopefully someone will pick this up and have more info if that is the issue.

Not sure if there is one specific for that ailment, but Aqua-mox for fish is the one usually recommended on here for chickens. Hopefully someone will pick this up and have more info if that is the issue.
I found a 500mg cephalexin. I don't have a scale but broke it open and divided into 5 evenish piles. Gave her about 100 mg, mixed with some water, and used a dropper. Will repeat every 12 hours. Will cut into those sacs soon. In the front yard with her letting her peck around. She's walking better but has been laying down most the day.

Pictures of the 2 masses. One cut across half and half and the other split down the middle.

Very sticky and soft. Was hard to get a clean cut with a knife. Not sure I would call it puss but maybe.

Attachments

• PXL_20230825_224429269.jpg
    PXL_20230825_224429269.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20230825_224424946.jpg
    PXL_20230825_224424946.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230825_224438472.jpg
    PXL_20230825_224438472.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom