Alabama ee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
I answered the list questions below.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
She is 10 months old EE

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is staying in the next box . I don't think she is trying to lay an egg. She has not come out today. She stopped laying a few weeks ago and is molting .

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No bleeding..however she is the roos favorite and has less feathering as a result.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have not seen her eat today. She did eat yesterday.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal yesterday.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
none

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Perhaps worm everyone?

Quote:
Very likely, two of my ee's are broody machines. Does she get all growly and puff up at you if you take her off the nest? If she's broody you should start seeing massive broody poos in the next day or so. I'd give her some scrambled eggs or other high-value treat and see if she'll eat it. If she is broody I'd sugest breaking her because it's going to be awfully hard on her system to brood on top of a molt. If you don't want to break her make sure you give her some extra tlc so she doen't get anymore run down.

Thanks Ddawn and kittymomma. I have gone out to check on her a few times today. She never made the growling noise. HOwever, she is rather sweet natured..even when she was laying eggs. She let me reach in the box and pet her.

I went out a few minutes ago and took her out of the next box and then set her down on the ground. She then wemt over and drank and ate a little. I did notice the others picked on her a little. I have not seen that before. Perhaps they sense something is off?

My flock wil harrass the lower ranking broody girls too so I wouldn't read too much into that. Just keep an eye on her for a few days. If you see the broody poo you'll know. I did have one girl that came down with a cocci overload after a really hard molt. It's pretty uncommon for an adult bird to have problems with it, but a hard molt can make them more vulnerable to parasites. If you don't see any broody poo by tomorrow you'll want to check her over really well for mites/lice and perhaps take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it tested for worms and cocci.

Back
Top Bottom