sick hen

Mine is 10 weeks old, What will weighing her tell me?
At 10 weeks, she should be growing, right? If you get a baseline weight, and a few days later she's the same or less, you'll know that she's not getting better. With a full grown hen, like a New Hampshire Red, you can look up how much an average hen should weigh and get an idea of how sick they are.

She is primarily sleepy. Her bowl is a bit runny. She is eating very little. She is drinking her water. She is smaller than the rest of the chicks. I'm thinking she got something from drinking from the ducks pond. Went to the feed store, and told them whats up. Have her on duramycin-10 in her water. She is looking better since I brought her in the house. Figured it would be better/warmer for her to fight what ever this is.

She is primarily sleepy. Her bowl is a bit runny. She is eating very little. She is drinking her water. She is smaller than the rest of the chicks. I'm thinking she got something from drinking from the ducks pond. Went to the feed store, and told them whats up. Have her on duramycin-10 in her water. She is looking better since I brought her in the house. Figured it would be better/warmer for her to fight what ever this is.
If she has a bacterial infection, the duramycin might help, but only if she's drinking enough. Runny poop, smaller than the rest of the chicks, sleepy, not eating, could be anything, but coccidiosis does fit all of those symptoms. Do a search for coccidiosis, but remember, blood is not always in poop of chickens that have it.

Hi casportpony, yes I do believe its cocci. Considering the duck really goes to town in the water, and they all drink out of it. I medicated the pond as well. She is a buff orp, and has been one of the smallest to begin with. She is drinking very well, and she started eatiing a bit, though I need to present it to her. Currently scrambeld eggs and cottage cheese. She isnt as lethargic, so we seem to be on the right track to recovery. Once it warms up I'm going to bring her out for a visit with her pals. Someone mentioned to place a mirror with her so she doesnt feel so isolated while recovering in the house. Thanks for your information.

Hi casportpony, yes I do believe its cocci. Considering the duck really goes to town in the water, and they all drink out of it. I medicated the pond as well. She is a buff orp, and has been one of the smallest to begin with. She is drinking very well, and she started eatiing a bit, though I need to present it to her. Currently scrambeld eggs and cottage cheese. She isnt as lethargic, so we seem to be on the right track to recovery. Once it warms up I'm going to bring her out for a visit with her pals. Someone mentioned to place a mirror with her so she doesnt feel so isolated while recovering in the house. Thanks for your information.
If it is coccidiosis, you'll need to treat her with Corid (amprolium), duramycin won't work. Some people use Sulmet, but it doesn't kill all of the types of coccidiosis that chickens get. Remember to weigh her!

Back
Top Bottom