Sick Hen.

wendytwoshoes

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Three days ago I noticed one of the Ameraucanas didn't come out of the coop in the morning. I went in the gather eggs and checked on her. She was standing on one of the perches not really moving, when I went to pick her up she bolted out of the coop. She ate and drank a little the first day but stayed in a corner of the yard. The second day the same thing, I brought grapes to her and she ate a few but didn't really drink any water. This morning it was the same thing, sitting in a corner of the yard. I brought her out a bowl of sugar water, some pellets, cut up green beans with a little olive oil and bamboo leaves. She has perked up since drinking the water and eating a bit of food.

I am wondering if there is anything else I should do or keep watch for? She doesn't look or feel egg bound, but I gave her some olive oil just in case. She does seem to look a little lack luster.

Three days ago I noticed one of the Ameraucanas didn't come out of the coop in the morning. I went in the gather eggs and checked on her. She was standing on one of the perches not really moving, when I went to pick her up she bolted out of the coop. She ate and drank a little the first day but stayed in a corner of the yard. The second day the same thing, I brought grapes to her and she ate a few but didn't really drink any water. This morning it was the same thing, sitting in a corner of the yard. I brought her out a bowl of sugar water, some pellets, cut up green beans with a little olive oil and bamboo leaves. She has perked up since drinking the water and eating a bit of food.

I am wondering if there is anything else I should do or keep watch for? She doesn't look or feel egg bound, but I gave her some olive oil just in case. She does seem to look a little lack luster.
I give mine electrolytes and vitamin supplements. I make a mash with warm liquid and chicken feed. Add a little of her favorite food to encourage her to eat it. They love corn so maybe add some creamed corn to it. I also bought some stuff called Nutri-Drench (about $9/bottle) at Tractor Supply that helped mine to feel better quickly.

How is she now? I have a similar problem, one of my silkie hens was lying down at the bottom of the run this morning barely moving and didn't protest at all when I picked her up and brought her inside and put her in a box lined with a towel. Left her a few hours to sleep after nightshifts and now my husband came home early to dispatch her (as we had a cockerel die in similar circumstances last month) and she's perked up! Can't see if she's drank anything or ate any yoghurt but she's standing up now and responsive when I go over to her and she's passed a stool which is normal. Crop feels normal, vent is clear, no discharges or smells or wounds, eyes bright nose clear but she's standing still very lethargic. Our vets are simply awful when it comes to poultry they try to blame everything on Mareks (even a leg sprain of previous cockerel!) and I'm at a loss as to try and treat her or to dispatch her which I am loathe to do since the slight improvement.

Update on my Trixie - opened her box this morning expecting to find a corpse but she seems improved! Eating yoghurt, drinking, standing and looking around and she has passed a soft shelled broken egg so perhaps she was egg bound? I checked her vent and her abdomen last night and all was normal but a night in a warm house seems to have perked her right up! Fingers crossed she continues to improve today and I can pop her out with her friends again.

Update on my Trixie - opened her box this morning expecting to find a corpse but she seems improved! Eating yoghurt, drinking, standing and looking around and she has passed a soft shelled broken egg so perhaps she was egg bound? I checked her vent and her abdomen last night and all was normal but a night in a warm house seems to have perked her right up! Fingers crossed she continues to improve today and I can pop her out with her friends again.
YEAY!!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif
I'm so glad to hear she is doing well.

have six chickens and two are in coop with bare butts and seems white stuff coming out going to seperate the two in the morning.what is this help please

I don't know what to do, I have separated her for a few days. We brought her in the house and put a heater on her, fed her all sorts of things you feed a sick chicken. She perked up for a day. We put her back out yesterday because the weather was beautiful, she loved it. Now she is back to droopy, not eating or sleeping.

She hasn't been an egg producer in some time even though she isn't 2 years old.

Give her some human calcium, it will help her.

I don't know what to do, I have separated her for a few days. We brought her in the house and put a heater on her, fed her all sorts of things you feed a sick chicken. She perked up for a day. We put her back out yesterday because the weather was beautiful, she loved it. Now she is back to droopy, not eating or sleeping.

She hasn't been an egg producer in some time even though she isn't 2 years old.
Get yourself some gloves, KY Jelly and gently do a clocal exam.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
hi there you might consider putting her on a general antibiotic just incase all the debris from the egg did not pass and is inside her body creating an infection. this might help her while she resorbs the debris. check yourself as above post said making sure you can't feel anything left inside. I hope she gets better soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom