sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbicky, Sep 7, 2013.

1. mbicky

mbicky New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    One of my 20 week old hens hasn't been developing like the others. She's a barred rock but is tiny, round and still gray in color. She has recently become inactive and the other 3 hens are pecking at her. I isolated her yesterday and gave her some yogurt. I tried to bring her to a vet but she won't be in until Monday. I'd appreciate any advice.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm going to move this to the Emergencies section.

Is she puffed up looking? How does her poop look? My first thought would be coccidiosis, and if that is the case, you need to get Corid in her ASAP. Coccidiosis can kill them very quickly.

3. mbicky

mbicky New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi, where do we get corid? She is now on the floor and not breathing well.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid or amprollium (Amprol in Canada) is available in the cattle section at farm stores. It comes in powder or liquid. Dose is 2 tsp liquid or 1 tsp powder in 1 gallon of water (you can make smaller quantities daily) given for 5-7 days. If you cannot find Corid, use sulfamethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon, or Sulfamed-G.) Sulmet would be my last choice since it is very hard on chicks. Do not put any vitamins or any other med in the water, and she has to drink enough to get the medicine.

5. mbicky

mbicky New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks for all your help but the little chicken didn't make it. Thank you

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by