Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Didymus, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Didymus

Didymus Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    One of my hens had a bit of eggshell in her vent. It is red and swollen. She also has a bump to the right of her vent. Stuck egg? We are not sure and have no idea what to do. We washed her off and she seemed to feel a little better, and the hemorrhoid, or swelling seemed to be better. Help

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of her vent? It could be a prolapsed vent, which can occur with or without being egg bound. I would use a rubber glove to search just inside the vent for any remains of an egg. Here is a link to read about prolapse in chickens along with a picture below of a prolapse: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

[​IMG]
    photo by Armorfirelady

4. Didymus

Didymus Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Of course the next day a second got sick. We freaked out and took them both to the vet. The second one who got sick. (Lola). The first one (Sweetie Pie) ended up staying from Fri until Mon. Lola came home with us that Day I guess Sweetie may have had peritonitis, and Lola did not end up with a prolapse. Antibiotics and Calcium and a brand new diet. Now the poor things are molting badly, and also very wise to meds. No more raisins, sunflower seeds, grapes. Just chicken food and green leafy veges, thank goodness they like kale. No lettuce, just mustard greens. We were actually feeding them off a list from the internet. If they would just get over this horrible molting, and 30 days pass, so we can eat eggs again.

Thanks for your concern and links!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by