Sick hens

Country Girls

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
I have been raising chickens for five years and have never had two hens die within a day of each other. The one was very lethargic and her comb was purplish in color. At the time of her death, she had some mucus coming out of her mouth. The other hen was eating and drinking but had a shrunken comb. I have never had any major diseases in my coop. Any suggestions? I have 41 gals left.

How old was the chicken? Had you added any new chickens to your group recently? Did you worm them regularly? Older hens may have internal laying problems such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, liver or heart disease. Dying so close together though, I would get a necropsy on any other one that passes, in case you are dealing with an infectious disease or a poison. I would also look at crops to make sure they are emptying, check for signs of lice or mites, and worm them. The use of a once or twice a week probiotic in their diets may help prevent intestinal diseases such as enteritis and help with immunity. Sorry for your loss. Here is a link to find your state vet for questions about a necropsy: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Thanks for your response. I haven't brought in any new chickens and they are all about 1 1/2 years old. I have never wormed my chickens. I haven't had any more deaths, but I have moved one hen into my basement to keep an eye on her. Her comb is a little droopy and not as bright red as it should be. Unfortunately, she isn't eating very well. Any suggestions? I think she is mad. I saw another hen out in my coop whose comb is a little discolored also. I have started a probiotic in their water. This one is drinking good. Could she just be cold? Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom