Sick Keet About 6 weeks old

vicknick

Songster
6 Years
Apr 25, 2016
Hatched toward the end of June, all babies are fine and happy except all of a sudden one is hunchy and fluffy-feathered.
I've had a bunch of appointments this week so haven't handled them, just making sure food is full and water is full and clean. In these past several days this baby has gotten suuuuper thin and just went solitary, hunchy and fluffy-feathered today. Very small, almost empty crop, while everyone else's crop is full. Drank a bunch of water and ate a little when i took him/her out.... But is isolated in a pet crate in my living room right now and is not yelling!!!!!
Baby's vent is clean and clear, no injuries apparent, just weak and stumbly, and fluffed-up, and ridiculously thin.
Food is game bird starter crumbles. I had them all on corid for 10 days, and they've been on regular clean water for over a week.
I put a little poultry drench in water and gave her a few drinks and she seemed to like it, but not excited about anything, really.
After drinking a bunch of water the crop feels more like putty than anything. Not like water or like food, just sort of squishy, no texture. Usually when I feel a crop on anyone who's been eating crumbles I can feel the crumbles, but this little kiddo just feels like he or she ate a bunch of mud.
Floor in their coop is sand.
As I typed this, baby did some of the 'hoot hoot hoot' calls to the rest of the kids, but just for a minute.
Not sure what else you all guinea experts might need information-wise, please let me know. Thank you very much!!!

If you don't have a syringe, you can also use your finger.
Be very careful w/ syringe, go from the side and slowly to avoid aspiration. What does his poo look like? Wait, you already used corid. So it could be a vt b depletion. I hesitated to suggest bc it goes both ways- protazoa, feed off of it, corid makes it unavailable, they die. But then that's depleting from bird as well. But if any protazoa are present and you give it to the bird, then you're feeding it. Hope that makes sense. 1/2 tab complexB vitamin to 1 gal of water daily. I actually found liquid complex b drops at meijer grocery, and it was a great energy booster, gives them energy to eat.

Last edited:
Quick update - baby loved egg yolk, and there was no need to syringe thankfully. She'd just stick her beak in the yolk and suck it up, lol! I put her back with the other babies today as she's back to 100% happy and wanting to constantly eat and run around and perch on my head, lol. :) Looks like the vaginal yeast infection cream did the trick. She ate it like ice cream. *shudder* I gave her 1ml morning and night for a few days, and after the 1st dose she hasn't had an issue with squishy crop. So - whew! Happy ending!!!!

Keets are harder to force feed, you could also try to syringe raw yolk in the side of his beak so he doesn't have a choice but to eat. You can add maple syrup or honey. Sugar will increase metabolism and make him want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom