Sick leghorn

goldrush

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
Need some medical advice. Have 5 white Leghorns that have been thriving and laying well. Found one girl lethargic yesterday. Comb dull, Explosive diarrhea. Don't want it to spread. They get apple cider vinegar in their water & yogurt weekly. What's going on and how do I treat? Already lost one flock to similar symptoms.

Some basic info would help us help you. How old are the birds? What kind of feed are they getting? What kind of bedding are they on? Any other symptoms that you can see? How often do you wash out their waterers? Anything wiggling in their poops?

Not sure of age. Got them 4 months ago as adults. They get Purina or Dumours laying crumbles. I am scrupulous about clean water. Only one is sick, just started 2 days ago. Comb way flopped over . She was on her side, gasping for air, but she rallied today. Got her quarantined for now. I lost a previous flock to similar symptoms. Disinfected coop and run before acquiring these. Would rather not use chemical wormers. They are on pine straw in the coop and sand in the run. I keep it clean. They free range a bit in a run along a fence. Don't see worms, but I'll look again.

Not sure of age. Got them 4 months ago as adults. They get Purina or Dumours laying crumbles. I am scrupulous about clean water. Only one is sick, just started 2 days ago. Comb way flopped over . She was on her side, gasping for air, but she rallied today. Got her quarantined for now. I lost a previous flock to similar symptoms. Disinfected coop and run before acquiring these. Would rather not use chemical wormers. They are on pine straw in the coop and sand in the run. I keep it clean. They free range a bit in a run along a fence. Don't see worms, but I'll look again.
Have you ever treated water with Corid (Amprolium)? Get your birds on a quality layer ration. Dumor is Purina and it is garbage feed that's been on the FDA recall list numerous times. You won't rid a bird of worms unless you use a "chemical" wormer. There are no organic methods that actually work for eliminating intestinal worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom