Sick little chick-i hope someone can help

2ducks1bird

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I have a two year old golden comet. She had been a great little egg'er until she molted in April. She has not laid an egg since, which is now 5 months. She has also grown a spur on one of her legs. She is fed Dumor laying feed, allowed to roam the yard at least 5 days a week, and is given treats. Tomatoes are the current treat. She is the only chicken sharing the rest of the yard with 2 pekin ducks, 1 lab (house dog) and 1 boxer when he visits.
-She sleeps in a chicken tractor with the ducks at night. She is let out in a pen when i don't let her in the yard.
-The tractor is made of wood in the bedroom area and the run area has a clear fiberglass roof and sides covered in wire
-The tractor and pen have clean straw
-There are two places for her to get water
-Today when i picked her up her comb was still bright red but had a few dark edges and was Very! droopy and her fanny was messy. Her comb always stands upright and without dark edges and she rarely has messy bloomers.
-She had been sleeping up in her box but was found down in the ducks area tonight
-They have been in their pen for 2-3 days and i noticed yesterday that she was lying about more than usual. I let them out in the yard today but she didn't hang around with the ducks too much (they are the 3 stooges). She kept to herself and didn't come to me or answer me when i called for her but she did come running when it was snack time.
-She really wasn't acting herself not quite lethargic but not running to meet us.
-I brought her into the house to give her a bath (which i do every couple of months) to clean her up and make sure there wasn't any thing wrong and to check for mites and any other skin problems, which i didn't see any. She isn't a large chicken to begin with so i am not sure if she has lost weight.
-While i was finishing drying her with the hair dryer she was making this clicking noise with her beak. This is not like her she loves the hair dryer and usually clucks happily.
-The weather has changed drastically since last week. High 90's last week to 70's-high 80's this week , with evening temps in the 40's. Without rain for a month.
-I have never given her med's of any kind. In early spring for a couple of days i gave her a treat of garlic and used aloe topically for something i don't remember now. It worked.
- Now the biggie, after her bath, i was sitting beside her in the sun, she puffed up and was preening when she had a watery explosive bowel movement, nothing else in it. Then a few moments later she had a bowel movement which look like chicken fat. She had a little trouble evacuating this. At first i thought she was going to drop an egg but it wasn't. It was a blob the color of chicken fat and was two inches long and 3/4 in diam. It was very firm (i poked it with a stick-yuck) and moist but no other liquid. When it dried it shrunk, curled up a little and changed colors, and this is gross, i opened it up and it looked like cooked chicken .ugh!
-I have read my chicken book and searched and searched ( even the site with pictures of chicken poop) the internet and haven't found anything that sounds like these problems.
I am really worried that she is sick and if she is i need help. My Vet is not good with chickens as we had her there this spring for a limp and he couldn't help. One of our dogs passed last month with CHF. It took him quickly. He was diagnosed and passed within 2 months which completely surprised our Vet and crushed us. So any help would be appreciated. I am not ready to loose another pet so soon.

-

Hmm, since she is not laying, there might be something wrong with her productive organs.......and maybe that thing she passed was something she "sluffed off". Or could that be some internal laying? Maybe you can give her some Duramayacin....just in case she has an infection. You can get that at the farm store for around $4.99 for a packet. I would try that.

Alot of the time it's just hit or miss with chickens. Alot of people I know just can't afford or don't take chickens to the vet. So sometimes you never figure out what is truly wrong.

Hope everything works out for you hen.

Thanks for all the responses it really helps. I am such a newbie (with the girls and forums) & have no one else close that raises feathered girls that i was getting a little anxious. Bella is about the same today. Her comb is still floppy & her fanny was messy again so i cleaned her up. She is still lying down more than usual. Still no eggs, but i am worried now more about her health than egg production. Went to TSC & Rural King to purchase some meds. She was fed the mash tonight that Glenda Heywood suggested & given a drop of Poly Vi Sol. Wazine 17 was added to her & the ducks water. The Wazine was hard to calculate down for 3 birds but i think i did it. I purchased Duramycin-10 but unsure if adding this along with everything else would be wise. So i'm holding off on that until i hear back from the folks here. She is now in the house in a pen. This is very gross but I was worried;[ she poo'd in the house so i checked it out because it was watery with some white stuff plus little green semi solids in it. Everything states green is bad-but it was just leaves! Whew! Checked her breath which smelled like garlic chives & there were seeds of the same in her mess. So that is okay. I also purchased a cleaning liquid for their tractor & soft wood chips instead of straw. Also purchased Chickens For Dummies so i will be checking out the reproductive chapter. Just found out today there is a new Vet not far from here so a phone call they will be getting tomorrow. Checked the link with the pics. and her blob didn't look like those scary blobs. Oh my! Sorry i am long winded just trying to give proper info for a better diagnosis. Any more ideas?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom