Sick little Cochin chick

wagoncab

Songster
13 Years
May 15, 2008
Charlotte
Hi All;
I have a very sick 2 week old Bantam Cochin chick.Thursday evening I found him all sprawled out in the brooder with his legs out behind him. (Marecks?) There are 2 other chicks in there and they are fine. I have put him in a brooder to himself. He cannot walk at all, keeps his eyes closed most of the time but when I talk to him he perks up and starts peeping at me.
I have mixed up a concoction of mostly liquid supplements and have been feeding him with an eyedropper several times a day. Other than that, it's a wonder this little thing is still alive. I will sometimes find him on his back with his legs stretched out behind him just chirping away.
I had a chick several years ago that had Mereck's but it was much older than this one. What else
could it be?
Thanks Cindy

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Will he eat on his own?
Do you have a video? Or photos of the legs?

It could be a leg deformity, injury or possibly a vitamin deficiency.

Offer poultry vitamins that contains B2(Riboflavin) or crush a human B-Complex vitamin and add to his chick starter.

You may want to make him a chick chair so he can be upright and see if he can eat/drink that way.

At 2wks, it most likely is not Marek's. Usually you don't see symptoms develop until around age 12wks.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

6612_chick_chair.jpg

0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b.jpg

LL

wagoncab

Songster
13 Years
May 15, 2008
Charlotte
Hi;
Thanks for the reply.
I really didn't think Mareck's either because of it's age.
Love the idea of the chick chair. I did just see him try to
peck at some food so that's a plus. I have been mixing a couple
of drops of poultry cell in with the electrolytes and chick starter.
I let it all soak up and then feed through a syringe. It is pretty much
liquid but he is getting some.

Thanks
Cindy

Top Bottom