Sick Little Eye...

tlee1956

Chirping
Apr 30, 2015
Idaho
My Favrolle cockrell has something wrong with his eyes, looks like his third eyelids will not retract all the way and are pink. I was told it was likely a sinus infection and to treat it with triple antibiotic ointment. I've been treating his eyes twice a day for a week now and it hasn't changed his condition. He hasn't been sneezing or coughing, no chest rattle, no discharge from his eyes or nasal passages, and is very active with a good appetite and normal droppings. I put one of my bantams in the hospital cage with him (she'd been exposed to him anyway) for company. She has not shown signs of any illness. I have a picture of him when he was a day or two old. Eyes are clear and dark so he wasn't born this way. What should I do now? (His eyelids look shiny due to the ointment)

My Favrolle cockrell has something wrong with his eyes, looks like his third eyelids will not retract all the way and are pink. I was told it was likely a sinus infection and to treat it with triple antibiotic ointment. I've been treating his eyes twice a day for a week now and it hasn't changed his condition. He hasn't been sneezing or coughing, no chest rattle, no discharge from his eyes or nasal passages, and is very active with a good appetite and normal droppings. I put one of my bantams in the hospital cage with him (she'd been exposed to him anyway) for company. She has not shown signs of any illness. I have a picture of him when he was a day or two old. Eyes are clear and dark so he wasn't born this way. What should I do now? (His eyelids look shiny due to the ointment)

are these both day old pics? or is the second one a newer picture?
if not do you have a "today" picture you can post?

I am having a very similar issue with one of mine.

I have an easter egger hen who has swollen skin around her eye and it is very runny. I thought it was a bee sting at first but it is not getting much better and now it looks like one of my younger hens has the same thing. I am isolating theM but I'm not sure what to do. :(

It sounds like a possible respiratory disease such as mycoplasma. I would recommend trying to get them tested, so that you know how to go about treating them. Bacterial infections from peck wounds or E.coli in the coop could also be a possibility in the absence of respiratory symptoms. Tylan, oxytetracycline, and other antibiotics may be used to treat symptoms of bacterial respiratory diseases.

are these both day old pics? or is the second one a newer picture?
if not do you have a "today" picture you can post?

Re-read my post and I can understand how you got confused. These photos of my 'Oakley' are from a couple days ago and he's a month old now. What I meant to say when I posted this is that in an earlier picture of him when he was a day old there were no signs of eye problems.

From what I've been reading it sounds like there are a few respiratory infections/viruses that could cause it. A couple others started showing aigns even after I isolated. So I treated my whole flock with Tylan and Vetrx and the ones that were showing signs are improving immensely and nobody else broke out since.

Reaspiratory stuff is super contagious and they *could* be carriers for life. So the treat or cull decision is tough.

Back
Top Bottom