Sick Little Penny Girl :-( RIP 3-27-2006 - 1-4-2010

Quote:
Malabsorption of nutrients (meaning if they do eat enough they cant utilize the nutrients from it properly/sufficiently occurs to one degree or another with illness in birds.
Her age would rule out mareks in my view (altho other oncological virus is always a possibility > dont forget that chickens make such a good research model in cancer studies because spontaneous adeno carcinmo occurs up to 30 percent)
Give the aviacharge daily portion (it is formulated for daily use) and offer her daily yogurt as a basic support measure . When was the last time you wormed her? Worms can kill a bird and often yellow poos (particularly if frothy ) will indicate worms.

Quote:
It has been a while since I wormed. I'd have to check my calendar to know for sure, but I'm guessing it has been somewhere between 6 months and a year. I sometimes do a preventative during their big molt when they're not laying eggs. On the first day I brought her in, I did mix some wormer in with her food, just in case, but I can't really say how much of it she got that day. I haven't tried it since but I can certainly do so, especially now that she's eating a bit more. O.C. Chick gave me a large bag of food grade DE, so I could also use that as well.

Id go with a broadspectrum wormer (ivomecEprinex or ivermectin or fenbendazole) > putting DE in their feed will not help if she has worms ... (it will help keep down the insects around the coop and such that cause the worms so is good for management )

What I have is Rooster Booster, which labels itself as a multi-action product to kill round worms, cecal worms, and capillary worms, plus treats chronic respiratory disease like air sac and infectious enteritis, plus has vitamins, minerals and microbials. Think that'd work?

After doing much better for several days, Penny has taken a turn and I don't think she'll be with us much longer. Her breathing is heavy and she's sitting with eyes closed. While she ate last night, she hasn't eaten today, nor will she drink. Thanks so much to all of you who offered advice and help. Your support and help has been greatly appreciated.

For now, we're just really sad to be losing our Penny Girl. We have so many happy memories of how she touched our lives. I'm really going to miss her. For now, I'm going to go and love her until the time comes for her to pass.
hit.gif

Last edited:
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

We just lost her. The kids and I were with her when she died and we're all so sad. Her pain has ended but ours will be with us for a long time. She touched our hearts, made us laugh, and was the sweetest girl. She will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace Penny. 3-27-2006 - 1-4-2010

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom