Sick looking chicken

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I have an Easter egger pullet looking sick this morning but was fine last night, she 25 weeks old. She is slow to move, tried giving her some scrambled eggs this morning and she ate a couple bites. I think she is the pullet that gave me a couple shell less eggs last week and yesterday she laid a fairly large egg for her size. When she sits on the roost her tail is kinda curled down and when she stood up on the roost I could see the feathers in her vent area moving like trying to poop or lay an egg. I am open to any ideas for what I should do, I did feel her crop which seemed empty.

I have an Easter egger pullet looking sick this morning but was fine last night, she 25 weeks old. She is slow to move, tried giving her some scrambled eggs this morning and she ate a couple bites. I think she is the pullet that gave me a couple shell less eggs last week and yesterday she laid a fairly large egg for her size. When she sits on the roost her tail is kinda curled down and when she stood up on the roost I could see the feathers in her vent area moving like trying to poop or lay an egg. I am open to any ideas for what I should do, I did feel her crop which seemed empty.
I'm sorry your hen isn't feeling well. You said she laid an egg yesterday. You said today her vent is moving but she hasn't pooped or laid an egg today. Have you checked her crop at different times during the day to see if she's eating at all other than a few bites of eggs? Is anything else going on at her vent area or does it look normal other than pulsating? In case it's an egg-binding or egg issue, I would at least for now up her calcium as that might help but won't hurt.

Here's a great article about crop ailments if you think you could be dealing with that, but I don't think so yet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm sorry your hen isn't feeling well. You said she laid an egg yesterday. You said today her vent is moving but she hasn't pooped or laid an egg today. Have you checked her crop at different times during the day to see if she's eating at all other than a few bites of eggs? Is anything else going on at her vent area or does it look normal other than pulsating? In case it's an egg-binding or egg issue, I would at least for now up her calcium as that might help but won't hurt.

Here's a great article about crop ailments if you think you could be dealing with that, but I don't think so yet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thanks for your help.

You might want to get some human calcium citrate tablets with vitamin D, and give her one today to see if it helps her pass an egg. Soft eggs can be common in a new layer, but if you see more, give her calcium for a few days. Do you feed layer feed and does she have access to crushed oyster shell inna separate container? Note what her poop looks like. Offer some bits of scrambled egg and moistened feed to tempt her to eat.

This morning I found another large shell less egg under the roost, she is looking more alert but still sitting on the roost in the coop. Yesterday morning her crop was empty, going to check her out more when it warms up a bit (29 here this morning). I need to get her to eat, yesterday the only thing she ate was a couple bits of scrambled egg and a cut up grape, she loves grapes.

You might want to get some human calcium citrate tablets with vitamin D, and give her one today to see if it helps her pass an egg. Soft eggs can be common in a new layer, but if you see more, give her calcium for a few days. Do you feed layer feed and does she have access to crushed oyster shell inna separate container? Note what her poop looks like. Offer some bits of scrambled egg and moistened feed to tempt her to eat.
I do have tums here would that work? She is getting layer feed and oyster shells on the side. She is low in pecking order and always seems stressed around the other pullets, kind of a loner.

I do have tums here would that work? She is getting layer feed and oyster shells on the side. She is low in pecking order and always seems stressed around the other pullets, kind of a loner.
Yes! They crush pretty easy too. I'd mix a little of one of those a couple times throughout the day.

You could try taking a small dish/bowl and wet her food so it's sort of a mash and see if she'll eat that.

That will work today, but I would get the calcium citrate with D3 tablets. Give her one each day for the next week to see if her egg shells are hard and egg more easily laid. The dosage is around 600 mg of calcium for a regular sized chicken daily. WalMart has some for around $10, and Amazon as well.

That will work today, but I would get the calcium citrate with D3 tablets. Give her one each day for the next week to see if her egg shells are hard and egg more easily laid. The dosage is around 600 mg of calcium for a regular sized chicken daily. WalMart has some for around $10, and Amazon as well.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom