Sick, molting hen - I’m stumped.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Offer her some eggs, or some other form of protein.

She looks done with molt to me. So, I don't think that's the issue.
Offer her some eggs, or some other form of protein.

She looks done with molt to me. So, I don't think that's the issue.
Made her eggs - didn’t touch. I gave her some yogurt and some treats (mealworms and some nugget thingys) which she will kind of eat but not with vigor. I gave her some cat food which she again sort of ate. She’s not going to make it and I just wonder how long I do this for. I feel so bad.

MysteryChicken

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2018
East, Tawas Michigan
Made her eggs - didn’t touch. I gave her some yogurt and some treats (mealworms and some nugget thingys) which she will kind of eat but not with vigor. I gave her some cat food which she again sort of ate. She’s not going to make it and I just wonder how long I do this for. I feel so bad.
Sometimes force feeding is necessary for awhile.

You can continue with the Nutridrench if you want. It'll give her some nutrients.

You can also syringe her some sugar water to hydrate, & boost energy. Be careful though.

Just a few options.

Ebony Rose

Crowing
12 Years
May 26, 2009
David, Chiriquí, Panama
Make every nibble count. Sardines packed in oil, raw hamburger (go for the fatty grind rather than lean), etc. You're looking to pack in as many calories and protein into each bite that you can. Since she's under the weather, she's susceptible to a cocci overload (opportunistic parasite that prefers young, old, or otherwise immuno-compromised birds), so might as well treat the entire flock with amprolium (generic name for Corid). Is it possible she's eggbound? I know you said she's coming off of a hard molt so she may or may not be laying (trying to lay), kinks in the reproductive system often rear their ugly head at that time.
She might surprise you, chickens can be tough little mini-dinosaurs.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Molt is hard on some chickens. If an illness is going to occur, molting is a time of stress that may make it hard to fight. I would not follow your friend’s advice to put her down this soon. Give her some time. First, look her over to see if she has lost weight through her breast where her breastbone may be sharp and prominent. Look her lower belly over for any mites or lice, and if her bellow is enlarged under her vent. First thing in the morning before she has a chance to drink or eat, feel of her crop to see if it has emptied overnight. Crop disorders, cancer, and reproductive disorders are common problems. Mix up some wet chicken feed and offer that with either egg or tuna. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Post pictures of any abnormal poop. Feel for a stuck egg by inserting a clean finger 2 inches into her vent.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Make every nibble count. Sardines packed in oil, raw hamburger (go for the fatty grind rather than lean), etc. You're looking to pack in as many calories and protein into each bite that you can. Since she's under the weather, she's susceptible to a cocci overload (opportunistic parasite that prefers young, old, or otherwise immuno-compromised birds), so might as well treat the entire flock with amprolium (generic name for Corid). Is it possible she's eggbound? I know you said she's coming off of a hard molt so she may or may not be laying (trying to lay), kinks in the reproductive system often rear their ugly head at that time.
She might surprise you, chickens can be tough little mini-dinosaurs.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Thank you. She stopped lying in March - so bizarre as only a year old at the time but figured it was a reproductive issue. That said she seemed healthy so I just let her be and she seemed fine within the group ove the summer. So definitely not egg bound. All are almost done with their molt and I do have some worming stuff so could do the whole group. I will research how to do this. I will continue to feed her during the day and bring her to her flock at night to roost.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Molt is hard on some chickens. If an illness is going to occur, molting is a time of stress that may make it hard to fight. I would not follow your friend’s advice to put her down this soon. Give her some time. First, look her over to see if she has lost weight through her breast where her breastbone may be sharp and prominent. Look her lower belly over for any mites or lice, and if her bellow is enlarged under her vent. First thing in the morning before she has a chance to drink or eat, feel of her crop to see if it has emptied overnight. Crop disorders, cancer, and reproductive disorders are common problems. Mix up some wet chicken feed and offer that with either egg or tuna. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Post pictures of any abnormal poop. Feel for a stuck egg by inserting a clean finger 2 inches into her vent.
I will see if I can get corrid. I do have a goat wormer and will look into dosing. Her poop is green/milky which indicates to me malnutrition. I do not see mites on her or her mates. She has not laid in many, many months - thought was a reproductive issue so just let it be. I had my chickens vaccinated for what I thought was coccis when they came from the hatchery. Is that was corrid Will treat?

Attachments

• A0A359B8-8586-48A3-93DD-0E00689D0614.jpeg
    A0A359B8-8586-48A3-93DD-0E00689D0614.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
If she has finished molting, then using SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is fine. SafeGuard can cause some problems with feather growth in molting hens. Dosage is 1/4 ml given orally once and in 10 days for roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most all types of worms except tapeworms.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
If she has finished molting, then using SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is fine. SafeGuard can cause some problems with feather growth in molting hens. Dosage is 1/4 ml given orally once and in 10 days for roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most all types of worms except tapeworms.
Thank you! And the corrid? I had them vaccinated when I got them from the hatchery? Is that for something different? Your help is very appreciated!!!

Top Bottom