sick nacked neck rooster

chickenbythesea

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Hello, just wondering if any of you have naked neck roosters? We purchased one about 3-4 weeks ago and we introduced him to our girls in hopes of getting some chicks. Anyways, Walter was right as rain yesterday and this morning we noticed that he wouldn't come out of the coop with the girls. I wasn't too worried as he did that once before. I went to collect the eggs and noticed that he still wasn't out of the coop. He was huddled on the floor and not moving much. I went into the coop and he let me pick him up without any fuss (not like him). I took him over to the food and water and he was very woobly on his legs and he kept his eyes shut. I got new water for him and made some warm oatmeal with raisins. When I took this back out, he hadn't moved at all. He did try some of the oatmeal and had a bit of water.

When I picked him up he felt like a bag of bones... he's definitely lost weight. Could the hens be keeping him from the food? There's always a great supply of feed and when I give them greens I always spread them around the run so no one is kept from any. I have kept him locked in the coop today so that the girls leave him alone. I am really not sure what else to do. He's my son's rooster and he'll be heart broken if he dies and I have to say that I'm not too optimistic that Walter will make it through the day. If anyone has any advice other then taking him to the vet (not paying big vet bills for a chicken-that and there's no chicken vets around here) I would appreciate it. We're new to naked necks so maybe it's something breed specific? Hope there's someone on here who can help.

Thanks
Liz

Back
Top Bottom