Sick or egg bound? What is this Poop?!?!

Alaskan_Hen

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2023
I have a hen that was showing that she was egg bound. All the signs were there. She was fluffed up lethargic. No interest in food or water brought her inside and began to give her Epson salt baths throughout the afternoon after about a half a day of sitting in our shower area she finally passed this massive amount of poop stuff. It was super gelatinous really jiggly material. There was a lot of it. The color was of egg yolk, green and clear. Does this mean that she was egg bound and that the egg broke inside of her? Or is this something completely different and she’s not egg bound at all but perhaps she is sick? I need your help please.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.jpeg
    IMG_5505.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5504.jpeg
    IMG_5504.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5508.jpeg
    IMG_5508.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5509.jpeg
    IMG_5509.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 27
We don’t have any on hand. I am sending the husband into town (we’re remote) to grab some. That was what I was thinking possibly too.

I've encountered this in my coop. I assume the egg breaks and all is released. I have never interfered as the girls seem fine. One hen, a BB, from time to time does show symptoms of being egg bound. I watch her and usually within a day she's back to herself and I find this poop. It's been going on for over 3 years now. I haven't interfered. If she was symptomatic for more than a day I would. I would keep her inside for a bit, make sure she eats and drinks and see what comes out. Since you have her inside I would probably give her Tums.

I've encountered this in my coop. I assume the egg breaks and all is released. I have never interfered as the girls seem fine. One hen, a BB, from time to time does show symptoms of being egg bound. I watch her and usually within a day she's back to herself and I find this poop. It's been going on for over 3 years now. I haven't interfered. If she was symptomatic for more than a day I would. I would keep her inside for a bit, make sure she eats and drinks and see what comes out. Since you have her inside I would probably give her Tums.
Thank you. We are keeping her warm and giving her water and food. She doesn’t have much of an appetite but have seen her eat. Hoping she will be back to normal in the next day or so.

I’m also having this issue. Anyone know the outcome? My girl hasn’t even laid her first egg but she is acting egg bound. We did one epsom salt bath and got the same green liquid poo but without the yellow. Was lethargic yesterday before the bath, today she is more upbeat but not taking in enough food or water. I’ve made sure to syringe some water into her. Even thought this might be sour crop. I’ve got her quarantined away from the rest of the flock and they all seem normal. Is she sick, is it the first egg, is it sour crop? We are lost

Julie Hei, how did your hen make out? I have the same issue with a two yr old hen.
My chicken had Clostridium Perfringens! Sent the poop to the veterinary institute and they checked for bacteria. She started to get better after one week, gave her lots of yoghurt (good bacteria). After she recovered I received the results, and all of my chickens got Amoxicyllin(?) some kind of antibiotics 😊 All got well

Back
Top Bottom