Sick or Hurt Hen???

Nightingale

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
NC
My Hen is about 5 months old. Something is wrong with her but I can't figure out what it is. She lays around in one spot and kinda falls over. She can't walk or stand up. Neither one of her wings seem to be broken and her legs aren't either. She still eats and drinks well. But she keeps one of her legs drew up close to her. She also pants and shivers. Sometimes she will lay on her side with her legs out from under her. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her and how to help??? Thanks!

How long have you had her? Has she been vaccinated for any diseases? Is her inability to stand/walk her only symptoms? It sounds possibly like Mareks disease...but I'm in NO WAY a disease expert. But you may want to do a general web search for the disease and read up on it a bit. Best of luck!

I haven't had her long at all. I don't know if the owner before me had her vaccinated. Her inability to stand/walk are her only symptoms. Thanks for the help!

Oh, I am so sorry you have a sick chicken.

Can you please give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
5) What has the bird been eating (specifically, ie brand of feed and type, treats, etc) and drinking?
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/ size and how many birds using it.
11) What kind of bedding in use?
12) Have you checked for lice / mites?
13) Have you wormed your birds?
14) When you hold your bird, does it feel heavy or light?

I am pretty sure she has Mareks Disease. I read about the symptoms and I believe she has paralysis in her legs=[ I have been keeping her inside in a large pet taxi so our cats wont bother her. It's nothing humans should be worried about catching right? I couldn't find anything that said if humans can get it. I know I sound dumb but I am new at the chicken thing.

NO.... you do NOT sound dumb at all. Don't say that. You are a good chicken parent! You are trying to help her.

Let's try to figure this out. Please answer the questions. Maybe it's just a vitamin deficiency or something. We all really want to help!

Last edited:
1) What type of bird , age and weight. -Bantam, about 5 months, 2-3 pounds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. -Cannot stand up/walk, sometimes lays on side with legs out from under her.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. -No bleeding, at first she would keep right leg drew up but now both. No broken bones or other signs of trauma.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -I don't know of anything that could have happened unless she somehow her her leg.

5) What has the bird been eating (specifically, ie brand of feed and type, treats, etc) and drinking? -Producers Pride Scratch Grain Poultry Feed from Tractor Supply, fresh water.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. -Normal but kinda green.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? -Haven't given her any meds yet because I have no clue whats wrong with her. So far I have just been keeping her inside and making sure she is eating, drinking, and comfortable.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? -She is stabilized and I plan to take her to a vet when I find one that works with avian.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/ size and how many birds using it. -5 ft. W x 10 ft. L x 6 ft. H, just two a Rooster and her.

11) What kind of bedding in use? -hay bedding.

12) Have you checked for lice / mites? -Yes, treating her for them.

13) Have you wormed your birds? -I haven't had her long the owner before said they was wormed.

14) When you hold your bird, does it feel heavy or light? -Light.

Since Wednesday her appetite hasn't change she is still eating and drinking well. But she has lost use in both legs. Her mobility is getting worse=[ She can move them but its like she has no strength in them and they shake. Her poop has been normal but is getting greener. I really hope she will get better and its nothing really bad! I'll try to put some pics on here of her this afternoon, maybe that will help some=/

Last edited:
Quote:
Is this the only type of feed you are giving her? Do they free range at all? She needs to be on a 16-18% layer ration if she lays, if not, then a starter/grower feed. Scratch grains are not nutritional complete. They are fed more like a treat, and can actually harm the birds if fed in large quantities.

I'm not saying this is the problem. I just noticed it when reading through your answers. Also, chickens need grit of some type in order to grind up the food they eat.

Also, I would get some vitamin/electrolye mix from TSC and put that in her water. If could be a deficiency due to the scratch grains.

Hey, there we go.... Maybe it is nutritional. I am sure you didn't realize, but the feed you just stated is not feed. It is "scratch," and that is like candy. It is a treat. Your bird should be near ready to start laying, so you could feed her "Layer feed." She will need to have granite grit available, if eating other things. Also some oyster shells, so she has enough calcium to lay those nice eggs for you.

Believe me, it took me awhile to figure out all the different feeds, and when to feed what! I think if you give her the right feed, that will help. Also, for a week or so, it would be good to give her 3 drops of PolyViSol (Enfamil brand) vitamins each day, to boost her up a bit. Some yogurt (plain unflavored) would be good for her, as well. About a teaspoon is good. Mine love it, but I find it is easier for them to eat if I mix it with something, like the feed, or mixed with the yolk of a boiled egg. Egg yolk would give her some extra protein, and she needs that now.

Back
Top Bottom