Sick or Hurt Hen???

reglisse --
I have never raised meat birds, so I am not much help here. I have read that it can be a heart problem. I wish I could help. Sorry.
hu.gif

The green poop confuses me because she is eating and drinking very well:/ I am going to get her on some new feed and vitamins ASAP! I hope and pray it isn't Marek's. But if it is what do I do?? How long can they live with that?

reglisse,
I'm sorry about your chickens. I really hope you find out what is wrong with them. Hopefully they will get better!

I guess malnourished would explain the green poo since she has been eating the wrong kind of feed. I feel so bad...I really hope she gets better!

Just process them. More than likely they just have genetic defects. Some birds do this, they appear normal and then just have leg issues. Sometimes they rock back on their hocks, walk backwards like they are trying to get up on their feet. Sometimes they will even fall over to their sides.

It's normal to have 1or2 / hundred birds. Most of the time I can get the bird to processing weight but not always the case.

ETA..... This is for the Cornish x birds posted.

Good luck...

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
I believe it is best to eliminate them, since they cannot eat properly neither walk. They do not have much of a life, as my husband says.
I will look into Marek's diseases in the governement agricultural web site for more infos.

Quote:
I had a cornish x like this that we would carry out under the cherry tree and put food and water in front of it and help it through out the day and then put it away in the coop again at night. And when I brought all of them to the processors all of them were fine and none were (i forget the term they use off hand) but basically none were tossed in the dump, which they do if when they test it it comes back with some kind of illness.

Back
Top Bottom