sick or injured barred rock chick

jennykpna

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Today my approx 11 day old barred rock chick became lethargic, eating only sips of hard boiled yolk and Apple juice/ sugar water. A few pecks of food here and there. Able to walk and groom self. We had a power out and heat lamp out this am for about an hour. They have been getting medicated feed. She lives with another barred rock and 2 leghorns. They are now separated. Her breathing is heavy but no pasting noted. No nasal passages clogged. She is sleeping now, arousable. I have a blanket and she is on it. I'm worried she will deteriorate and loose strength. Suggestions please!! What do you think is going on. Also the chicks have been handled by my kids with supervision and I have seen a few short drops that no chick has looked injured from. There could have been an injuring squeeze or something. I'm afraid she will weaken. We are spooning nutrients in. Poop greenish brown, normal.
Suggestions please :(

Start offering plain yogurt to eat and water with a little apple cider vinegar with "mother"(1 T per gallon). Both of these will help strengthen the immune and digestive system. Watch it while it eats to verify that it is actually eating plenty and drinking water. Keep the family from coming in contact with it for now.
What nutrients are you providing?

Just the stuff as above, feed starter that is medicated , water with sugar, dissolved yolk, Apple juice. This evening she mainly slept, didn't take much more then a few sips off the spoon. She is asleep, so we will see how some rest does for her. Someone thought she was overhandled. We will see how she looks in the morning. Will update. Thanks a bunch.:fl

She didn't make it. She had a solemn night with little activity, lying there with heavy breathing. Then I picked her up and gave her a little sugar water, which she appreciated but had trouble swallowing as she was so weary. Then she began to move a little, which turned to a bit of some dying moves and then she lay to rest. We are going to show the kids tomorrow so they know and hopefully they will understand why they will not be having access to our other chicks regularly, because of fragility. I am so sad, but glad she is no longer suffering. Rest in peace little one. Bonnet was her name. :hit

Back
Top Bottom