Sick or Just Old?

often when they get ill things will start to snoball (deficiencies can develop and worms etc) >secondary conditions complicating recovery.

Your hens should have access to free choice calcium in the form of oyster shells (set out in separate dish to take as they wish/need to do so.)

I would personally not give flaxmeal, but instead offer a general supplement (like AviaCharge 2000 >you can purchase this online from McMurray or Strombergs) regularly and live culture yogurt (plain and unflavored).

Since these birds have always been there, I would suspect worms over cocci (cocci is rare in older birds)... if it were me I would worm them anyway with ivomec Eprinex ... read about that here:
http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html
(I would use the spot-on method instead of putting it in the water)

Last edited:
Thank you so much kind people for all the helpful responses.

Right now I still have her isolated from the rest of the flock. She is not showing much improvement, but at the same time has not declined further.

I have done a de-wormer treatment on her and all the other ladies.

Next plan is to de-louse them all. Not sure if they evn have lice--could not see any signs of mites or lice...but don't see how it could hurt. Would really like to do the coop too, but have a broody wyandotte in there and do not want to disturb her. SO will wait on that one.
Really just wanted to thank you all. The advice has been truly helpful.
smile.png
B.

Back
Top Bottom