1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick or Not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stestory, Nov 1, 2013.

1. stestory

stestory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    I have a red that is acting strangely. It is very solitary will not receive the other chickens. I cannot say if she's eating normally when I let them free range she pierced be keeping up with the others. I picked her up tonight and she appears to be extremely bony my question is should I let this ride take her to the vet or make a roast? Your input is greatly appreciated

2. maximusfowl

maximusfowl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Id hate to say it...but unless you have spent 100 dollars on a quality Game bred bird, i would just whak em. Please excuse my bold manner on this subject...but it sounds like it could be a genetic issue...the beautiful things about chickens..is the flaws can be bred out of the fowl FOR THE MOST PART with selective breeding. have a nice night,hope i make sense

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Thin hens may be worms (also diarrhea with thin hens). Also check for mites/lice and spray your coop crevices just in case of red mite which can suck them dry.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd guess that she has worms. They would cause thinness and lethargy. Has she ever been wormed? Definitely check for external parasites, too, as they can sap the energy of a bird. Do her droppings look normal?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. stestory

stestory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Thanks. I accidentally posted this twice but the bottom line is I need to check for worms and parasites. The chicken has since died. The remaining five seem healthy but I hope to ward off any problems.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I am sorry she didn't make it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by