Sick Orpington, Dying? :(

If her crop is not emptying, I would only syringe warmed up water. If she is dehydrated her crop should not have any more food put into it until it is emptying. Dehydration can cause ALL sorts of problems.

X2. Best to start with just fluids. A hen her size I would start with 30 ml, massage crop a little, then tube more fluids if the crop doesn't feel too full. Wait 60-90 minutes and tube fluids again if the majority of fluids have cleared the crop. What country do you live in? And what wormer do you have?

-Kathy

If you have a really ill bird and it's the middle of the night, is it best to hydrate the bird immediately or wait until it's awake in the morning?

I have a syringe, it's 2AM and I just put 30cc's of luke-warm water into her tummy, her face is still in surprised mode due to the fact they normally don't entertain guests in the middle of the night.

Right now it's a struggle to get the beak open and the syringe in properly with zero vision. Will a tube make this easier? Getting some 3mm air-tube tomorrow for the syringe.

How bout adding some vitamins to the water?

Tubing is much easier. You could add a lttle sugar to he water, but I wouldn't give vitamins until her crop starts to clear.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Massaged her crop, it filled up quite nicely and it's more maleable now. I'll see in the morning if there's a substantial change. Alarm'll go in 4hrs, so I'll let ya know in my break how the morning went (checking crop, adding sugar to water, another fluid-dose) and buying tubing on my way home from work!

Thank you so much for your advice!

Massaged her crop, it filled up quite nicely and it's more maleable now. I'll see in the morning if there's a substantial change. Alarm'll go in 4hrs, so I'll let ya know in my break how the morning went (checking crop, adding sugar to water, another fluid-dose) and buying tubing on my way home from work!

Thank you so much for your advice!

Very important to give fluids again 60-90 minutes after initial treatment.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom