1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Parakeet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreeChicken!, Dec 11, 2014.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Not poultry of course, but still a bird health emergency, so I figured this is the right place to post it.

This morning, I found that one of my parakeets is acting strangely, and definitely looks sick. I have two parakeets, Blue and Pigeon. Blue was being her usual self, climbing around and playing. But Pigeon, who normally joins her in her activities or stays nearby and sings, was instead sitting on his perch quietly, all fluffed up. He sneezes every now and then, but nothing looks runny. He's a very shy bird and normally doesn't like me approaching him, but today when I came near the cage he just looked up at me tiredly. He's napping right now.
    Last night both birds were their usual cheerful selves, so it's quite sudden. They spend most of their time out of their cage, but I always keep an eye on them when they're out. The only thing I can think of that they did was they found the cat's water dish and took a bath yesterday. However Pigeon only lightly splashed his chest, while Blue had went and rolled in the water and got soaked, and yet she's fine.
    Anyway, what should I do for Pigeon? Should I separate the birds so Blue doesn't get sick? Any advice?

2. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    It sounds like a respiratory illness. Go to some place like tractor supply and buy oxytetracycline (in the cow section) or another broad spectrum antibiotic that can be dissolved in the birds drinking water. For dosage, you will probably have to search this forum for how much to dissolve in water for sick chicks, since the body weight will be almost the same as a parakeet. If you don't have a farm store locally, most pet stores have fish antibiotics that will work just the same.

3. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Luckily I'm going into town tomorrow morning and there's a farm store and pet store there, so I'll be sure to check for antibiotics and buy some while I'm out there.
    I separated the birds for now, and moved Pigeon upstairs to a bedroom where it's warmer and quieter than the rest of the house. He's napping again, and I saw him eating a few minutes ago, so he's still got appetite, which is good 'cause I was worried he wouldn't.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

5. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    If he starts looking worse, I might take him to the vet, but generally that's the last option since vets are so pricey.

Pigeon is looking a bit better and wanted to be let out of his cage. He's not as fluffed up as before, though he's still sneezing. But he is looking a little less droopy and tired.

6. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I believe I paid between $5-8 for the antibiotics at TS. I hear you about vet bills! You should know in about 24 hours after giving the antibiotics if they are working or not, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by