Sick Pea Chick Died - Going to Vet School For Necropsy - Will Post Results

I can change the ones in the table when my my roommate gets off of the computer (I'm using an IPad). For now, your peas last two weights of 2.47 pounds and 2.4 pounds convert to 1120gr and 1088gr. Have you weighed her again today? How's she doing?

I weighed her this morning and she was 2.52 lbs. So, it was a bit of an overnight weight loss. Not sure if it's like humans, but when I weigh myself in the morning, I am 2 lbs less than the night before.

She is doing much better. She is walking around and flying around the house. She has made a complete change since Sunday. But we are not out of the woods yet. I'm trying to contact the avian vet. I left a message for him to call me.

Last edited:
Do you have any metronidazole (Fish-Zole or Flagyl)? How about Safeguard (Fenbendazole)? If your vet thinks that it might be blackhead, you will need both. If it is blackhead you need to start treatment with metronidazole before too much damage is done.

What do you think, casportpony... maybe mix some cayenne with the feed or water? Or could that interfere with the cocci meds?

Do you have any metronidazole (Fish-Zole or Flagyl)? How about Safeguard (Fenbendazole)? If your vet thinks that it might be blackhead, you will need both. If it is blackhead you need to start treatment with metronidazole before too much damage is done.

I wish I could get her in so they can determine what she really has. Although the avian vet is 1 1/2 hours away, I do have a local vet that is NOT an avian vet but knows that I have a gazillion animals and will give me any meds that I need. So, if I called him and told him that I needed the Fish-Zole or Flagyl, he will let me have it. I wonder if giving both meds will harm the pea or s topping one med and beginning another med, being as though I really don't know what the problem is. :he I wish that I was a vet. :/

While I don't see how cayenne would interfere with the meds that you are giving, I can't be 100% certain about that. However, I really think symptoms should have cleared up by now if you are dealing with cocci, which makes me wonder if that is what it is. Keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion, I am not a vet. Some folks claim cayenne is a natural treatment for blackhead (and worms), though I'm not sure I would use that as a sole treatment. I have had wierd poops from birds before and had them clear up after adding cayenne to the feed so there could be something to that. Birds don't seem to notice the heat, though a word of caution for you... if you try it make sure that you don't inhale any pepper dust, I guarantee that you will notice it! It's extremely painful!

What do you think, casportpony... maybe mix some cayenne with the feed or water?  Or could that interfere with the cocci meds? 

I honestly have no clue, but one could do a search on sulpha antibiotics in human form (sulmet is a food animal antibiotic) to see if there are any foods or other drugs to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom