Sick Pea chicks???-HELP

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I owned peafowl 40 years ago, but remember very little about them; getting old is the pits at times. A couple days ago my wife, knowing I wanted peafowl again, brought me three month old pea chicks. They looked great when she gave them to me. However its been two days and they have eaten very little, if anything. I'm giving them what the seller recommended; medicated game bird grower. Yesterday, the chicks peeped plaintively most of the day and this morning they appear rough with their wings hanging down. This morning I put them on nutri-drench and vitamins along with moistened dog food with their mash in a separate dish. I certainly could use some help and advice.

Does their poop look normal. Pictures of the chicks maybe diagnose what is going on.
I think that most would recommend starting them on corid in their water.

I'm a recovered stroke victim; close to a hundred percent and very lucky. The one lasting effect is the inability to use what I know. When my wife brought me the pea chicks I put them in a large dog crate-outside-close to 100 degree weather with humidity close to 100 %. Most of yesterday the chicks peeped in distress. Last night I woke with an OMG!, got up, got a large plastic tub, and brought the chicks indoors. Their poop is normal and they have begun eating nonstop. I will post pictures as soon as I can, but am sure the problem is/was pure neglect on my part. This is very upsetting to me and I'm feeling pretty stupid. 50+ years of birdkeeping...

@nchls school congrates on the recovery! My grandpa had 5 strokes before it did him in 🙁. the crate probably got to hot for them. I know my little one will tell me when it wants something (hot, cold, just wants to be able to see me lol)
There is a sticky thread you can go to for basic care if you need the help getting started too! It gives you a good understand/refresher course 😊
Good luck with them!

Thank you. Yes, I do need a refresher course and will do the reading.

It's been two strokes for me; the doctors tell me that if I take care there is no reason to think there will be a third. But this inability to retrieve from my mind what I know is frustrating; especially when it has results like with the pea chicks.

Being a member of BYC has been very helpful. When people ask a question I am able to relate what I know and then apply it to my own flock.

Are all pea chicks docile and friendly? I have no idea how much these have been handled, but when I reach into their tub they make no move to escape and make little fuss about being held as long as their wings are not restrained.

The first thing I thought of after reading your original post is that they are cold. Make sure they have a heat source and that they can also get away from it when they get too hot. If they continue to look rough, droopy, or hunched up then you should treat for cocci right away. Be sure to read the 'stickies threads' at the top of the main peafowl page.

The first thing I thought of after reading your original post is that they are cold. Make sure they have a heat source and that they can also get away from it when they get too hot. If they continue to look rough, droopy, or hunched up then you should treat for cocci right away. Be sure to read the 'stickies threads' at the top of the main peafowl page.
Yes, they were cold and shivering early this morning when I brought them into the house. They are looking better and better. I will be sure to read stickies threads. Thank you for replying.

These are the peachicks. They are eating good. No more plaintive cheeping, but to my eye they look rough with wings hanging almost to the ground. Is that normal for month old peachicks?

p.jpg
pea.jpg

It is doubtful they have any kind of disease as they have been raised isolated in near sterile conditions.

Back
Top Bottom