Sick Peacock

So very sorry for your loss, I know how heartbreaking it is to lose one. :hugs

If I were you I would do my own necropsy. If it was blackhead, coccidiosis, or roundworms it will be obvious. Blackhead poop is not always yellow. :idunno

Other things to look for are things he could have eaten like sharp pieces of plastic or metal, that's pretty easy to spot too.
Agreed, I have lost at least three mature birds that had eaten sharp objects and pierced the esophagus letting feed into the body cavity and dying.

Agreed, I have lost at least three mature birds that had eaten sharp objects and pierced the esophagus letting feed into the body cavity and dying.
I did two necropsies for a friend, one had eaten a needle and a piece of plastic fence, the other ate a piece of metal. The first one had a ruptured proventriculus and gizzard, the second had a ruptured gizzard.

Wow, I didn't even think about him eating something stupid, but that would be like him, and certainly makes sense. I considered having a necropsy done, and can still, (it's so expensive though) and I am so way too squeamish to do it myself, ...well, I'm still thinking about it, but probably not happening if I do it.

Interesting pictures & videos.

Incredibly, that vet still hasn't called with the fecal results.
Also, what would we see in a necropsy (that would be obvious) if he had Blackhead? Lesions? Discoloration? What? I might still find someone to do one.

Thank you for the all the kind words, we are so heartbroken. Our four peafowl were so much a part of this place for so long, and now we have lost two of our original birds, plus our new one that disappeared. Phoenix was my favorite, as he was so spoiled and tame, and wanted to be a house pea. It's been a bad year.

:hugs, I know how sad you must feel, I feel very sad when I lose one too.

I have blackhead necropsy pictures... let me find the link.

Yeah, too bad you aren't closer, I'd do it for sure. Can you post in your state thread? Maybe someone there would help?

I don't know. I could get a necropsy done through the State, but Ohio just is not a big fan of backyard flocks, and I just always feel uncomfortable going down there to get a necropsy done; they are never very friendly. Plus, it is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom