Sick Peacocks

Unfortunately it may be CRD. The pheasants look to be only affected in one eye. I did notice pus when I cleaned the eye with a warm rag a few minutes ago. I did not notice any smell from the nasal discharge. It was clear and odorless.

Will Tylan treat CRD? The little research I have been able to do on CRD suggests that the birds will always have it From what I can tell, the good news is humans can't get it. Are eggs safe to eat if any of my chickens get it?

Hoping it's not CRD & I will call the guy my pheasants came from to see if he has any sick birds.

Thanks again

Jeff

CRD is treated with Tylan also. But unfortunately CRD is a little worse because I do believe it can live in the egg. Corzoa does not always have a smell, keep that in mind and can be in one eye also. You can go to the Featherfanciers site and ask DOC Peter Brown questions on the forum. He is very knowledgeable on these matters. For a small fee he will take calls too.
I'd talk with the people you got them from and let them know. They may not know, because if it is Corzoa, all his birds may look fine and not be sickly. It often comes out during stress. If possible I'd take a wiff of some of his birds or look for any bubbling in the eye. This is why it is sooooooooo important to quarantine new birds. Best Wishes

Last edited:
Our local Tractor Supply DID carry Tylan 50. I picked up a 100 ML bottle last night along with 16 G needles.

I plan on giving shots tomorrow when I get back home. A shot in the breast is the best place to give them? These are 1/2" needles. Is this too long to give a shot directly in or should I go slightly sideways so I don't so deep and puncture a lung?

They are all on water with Aramiacin. Should I wait a day with no Aramiacin or can I go ahead & give shots?

Thanks to all for your help.

Jeff

16g is a big needle... I would wait until someone on here posts a reply. I'm not familiar with giving peafowl injections, but I'm an RN and I wouldn't want anyone giving me an injection with a 16g!
I believe that someone posted that they give poultry injections with a 22g needle or an insulin needle (which is smaller than a 22g.)
Hopefully someone will let you know.

thanks for the reply. 16g was the smallest they had. If this is too large, I'll have to wait until Monday to see if my local vet has anything smaller.

Also I've been doing a lot of research on dosage. It varies wildly on the amount I should inject and how often to inject (one a day for 3 days, twice a day etc etc.

I have 3 ML plungers. How much for the really young ones and how much for the ones that are 3-4 month. Same for young pheasants?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I get back in town tomorrow and would like to be ready to treat them.

Jeff

On your needle size, the larger the number the smaller the needle. 16 is large, 22 is small. iIalways buy 22 gag needles from our local TSC. I would use the 16 Gag to drawl out the Tylan into the needle, and use the 22 gag to inject it. Adult Peafowl 1/2 to 1 cc, 2-3 months 1/2 - 1/4 cc, young peachicks I like to use a diabetic needle if you can find one, 1/4 - 1/8 cc depending on how little. Use for 3 days. Tylan is short term and may also need to be used 2 times a day for the three days, depending on how sick they are. With any meds use caution.
Pheasants 1/2-1/4 for Adults. 1/4 to 1/8 for chicks.
Ask questions, that's how we all learn
wink.png

Last edited:
I would not go directly in with the needle as you could end up injecting into the air sacs. Also when doing injections always aspirate (pull back a bit on the plunger) before you inject anything anywhere to insure you are not in the air sac or blood vessel. If air or blood enters the syringe, choose a different site. The leg may be an alternative site.

I finally got back in town last night & thanks to my neighbor, I got a hold of some 24 g needles. All birds in the barn got injections of Tylan in the breast around midnight last night. Amazingly the major eye swelling & drainage have stopped today. It looks like all are on the mend. One white baby peacock looked like he not make it through the night, but after a shot & cleaning him up with a warm rag so he could breath through her nostrils, today he looks healthy & is hopping around & eating some yogurt.

I'm going to give go directly into the sinsus cavity this evening on all birds to try and keep from any needle damage in the muscle. It may not be a full dose as some may drop out, but all birds are still on Aramicacin in their drinking water.

Many thanks to all who responded so quickly to help with this. I'll talk to our local vet tomorrow to see if there is any way he can do cultures to see what exactly infected the birds.

I would still like some help sexing the birds, so I'll try and get tome pics up in the next few days.

Thanks again to all who offered advice. GREAT FORUM!!

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom