Sick Polish Crested Chicken?

21_chickens

Songster
Sep 1, 2019
Hi. I have a 4 polish crested chickens along with 17 other chickens. One of my polish crested chickens doesn’t go in at night with everyone else and he doesn’t come out in the morning. We have to transfer him in and out each time. He also allows us to pick him up unlike our other chickens and lays down with his head in the dirt multiple times throughout the day. He seems healthy and drinks and eats enough and doesn’t get picked on by other chickens. Could this be brain damage?? I’ve also heard that polish crested chickens can have a hard time seeing because of their feathers on their head. Do I need to cut her feathers? If so can I do it at home or do I need to bring her somewhere to get it done?

Her? Him? Transsexual chicken? Moving on.

Try trimming the feathers around the eyes. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may be dealing with a neurological problem. In that case, you can try vitamin E and B-complex therapy. Or it could be the first symptoms of Marek's rearing its ugly head.

Her? Him? Transsexual chicken? Moving on.

Try trimming the feathers around the eyes. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may be dealing with a neurological problem. In that case, you can try vitamin E and B-complex therapy. Or it could be the first symptoms of Marek's rearing its ugly head.

I’ll try cutting the feathers and see how that helps. Thanks for answering!

Back
Top Bottom