sick? production red hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kay jacob, May 3, 2009.

1. kay jacob

kay jacob New Egg

May 3, 2009
    i have a hen that holds her tail down and wings out...bottom seems distended and looks like dirrehea..anyone know what might be wrong and how to help her.

2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

How old?

Laying eggs yet? When did she last lay?

When was she last wormed?

Any clumping of feathers around the vent?

The vent swollen?

Eating and drinking ok?

What color of poop? Was it runny? Foul odor?

3. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    I know that if she is holding out her wings she is trying to cool herself and/or is stressed. I have a hen with the same droopy tail and drainage from the rear so if you find the answer...please share.

Thanks!

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there! I finally found the thread.

How's she doing?

Since she hasn't layed yet, I wonder if she's eggbound, though doubting because I don't think she would have survived this long. She could be a young chick that hasn't ever layed, and she could be an old chick that doesn't lay.

The diarrhea, if you see bright red bleeding, she could have coccidiosis, and/or worms. Not sure about the undigested food in the diarrhea, but sounds like it is passing through her system too quickly. I'll try to find out why. Do you have grit available for them?

What feed are they getting?

Is she still eating and drinking?

Since it's been awhile since she has been wormed, I would either take a sample to a vet and asked if they would do a fecal to see if she does have worm, or if that isn't a possibility, I would worm the whole flock. Chances are if one has them, they all do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by