Sick pullet after shipping

Esthermshapiro

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Hi everyone, we just received 2 easter egger pullets from a place in Michigan, we are in Arizona. They advised us that it would be 1-2 days, it took 3 days. They put a piece of fruit in with them, nothing else. When they arrived they were clearly overheated and dehydrated. Since arrival one is doing great, the other had laid an egg in transit and then again shortly after arrival and nothing more. She has been very listless, stands with her eyes closed, is pale, has liquid diarrhea, not eating unless we force feed her (we are giving her electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, probiotics, fresh veggies, cooked eggs) but even then she only takes in scant amounts. She is losing weight, and is not coming out of this after a week now. :-(
A local expert says she's afraid this hen is permanently injured from the dehydration. Of course the hatchery isn't being responsible for this at all.
We would appreciate any guidance, support, etc.
Thanks so much!
Esther

Attachments

• IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9678.jpg
    IMG_9678.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 3
Just keep up the hydration, and hope for the best. Not much more than you are already doing :hugs

Big question??? why would you order adult hens in mail this time of year,,? I see an average EE, and think you should be able to source some of those local pickup. or short travel?

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Hi everyone, we just received 2 easter egger pullets from a place in Michigan, we are in Arizona. They advised us that it would be 1-2 days, it took 3 days. They put a piece of fruit in with them, nothing else. When they arrived they were clearly overheated and dehydrated. Since arrival one is doing great, the other had laid an egg in transit and then again shortly after arrival and nothing more. She has been very listless, stands with her eyes closed, is pale, has liquid diarrhea, not eating unless we force feed her (we are giving her electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, probiotics, fresh veggies, cooked eggs) but even then she only takes in scant amounts. She is losing weight, and is not coming out of this after a week now. :-(
A local expert says she's afraid this hen is permanently injured from the dehydration. Of course the hatchery isn't being responsible for this at all.
We would appreciate any guidance, support, etc.
Thanks so much!
Esther
Yikes! I wish you well, but honestly I don't order or send anything live or perishable to or from Arizona during late Spring or Summer. In fact, I'm even concerned mine will be too hot outside in summer, but am going to do my best to shade and vent.

These pullets were ordered months ago, we then found out there just chicks at the time. We have tried every local resource for pullets with no luck. Finding chicks is still a challenge with the pandemic. A farmer friend suggestted we try this route, and I don't think even in winter that I would order from this company again. Lesson learned.

I agree with @cavemanrich Continue hydration with water. I recommend also giving her 2 drops of Poultry Nutri Drench orally twice a day with the provided eyedropper. Do this for 3 days, then reduce to 1 drop orally twice a day for 4 days, then stop giving it to her. Too much can cause diarrhea.
It would be best to stop the ACV, probiotics, fresh veggies, electrolytes while giving her the Nutri Drench. You can give her mashed boiled egg to eat. Hopefully she'll pull through.

Thank you. We could not find Nutri Dench locally, but did find an alternative. Her poop was better today, but her mental status isn't right at all. She just hangs her head, wont eat unless by hand, is not exhibiting any normal signs of chicken behavior. It's been 9 days now with no change and we are concerned she has permanent damage from this heat exhaustion/dehydration. Will give it til Monday and then take her to the vet. The other hen is doing perfectly well, and the fact they won't refund us anything if we lose her is just disgusting IMO. They guaranaty healthy birds, but nothing once they are out of their care. The lack of responsibility is infuriation. We just hate to watch her suffering.

These pullets were ordered months ago, we then found out there just chicks at the time. We have tried every local resource for pullets with no luck. Finding chicks is still a challenge with the pandemic. A farmer friend suggestted we try this route, and I don't think even in winter that I would order from this company again. Lesson learned.
Definitely never order from them again, and are you able to post a review on their site or Social Media, even a blog. I have actually had companies (probably larger ones) respond to me through these venues. I think larger companies have a feed set up to catch any mention of their name. I understand that companies can't replace every chick/pullet that arrives in poor condition, but they should have been honest with you about the age of the birds and they should have done their homework regarding summer climate in Arizona before just putting them in a box and shipping them off.

It's horrible to see any animal suffer like that and so disappointing when you had gone to such lengths to find them. I don't know where you are located in Arizona or how long "months ago" was, but chicks are and have been available for several months at Tractor Supply and at Arizona Feed in my area. My 2 wk old chickies were kind of a spontaneous purchase so I just happened into Tractor Supply and saw them. In retrospect, I would have purchased them earlier, before the heat wave descended upon us, but they are hanging in there. I put ice in their water in the afternoon. They seem to be refreshed by it. Hope to hear better news from you soon! 🤗🙏

I agree with @cavemanrich Continue hydration with water. I recommend also giving her 2 drops of Poultry Nutri Drench orally twice a day with the provided eyedropper. Do this for 3 days, then reduce to 1 drop orally twice a day for 4 days, then stop giving it to her. Too much can cause diarrhea.
It would be best to stop the ACV, probiotics, fresh veggies, electrolytes while giving her the Nutri Drench. You can give her mashed boiled egg to eat. Hopefully she'll pull through.
Am I the only one that finds it strange that chickens would eat eggs? My neighbor gave her pullets scrambled eggs the other day and I was like, what?? :idunno

Am I the only one that finds it strange that chickens would eat eggs?
You are likely in a minority with that thinking. Eggs are good nutrition. Many peeps assume that the chick comes from the yolk of the egg. Not exactly, but as the chick grows, absorbs all of the yolk. . A chick starts out not much bigger than a pinhead, and grows from the nutrients that come from the yolk. Often a chick starts to hatch with not all the yolk sac absorbed. Often those do not end well.:(
Fertile eggs.

1623561152027.png

1623561115331.png

1623561608013.png

You are likely in a minority with that thinking. Eggs are good nutrition. Many peeps assume that the chick comes from the yolk of the egg. Not exactly, but as the chick grows, absorbs all of the yolk. . A chick starts out not much bigger than a pinhead, and grows from the nutrients that come from the yolk. Often a chick starts to hatch with not all the yolk sac absorbed. Often those do not end well.:(
Fertile eggs.

View attachment 2716205
View attachment 2716204

View attachment 2716212
Wow, thanks for the education! I did not mean I believed anyone would be wrong to feed eggs, but as a first-timer learning as I go it did seem weird. Given your explanation, it actually makes sense.😎

Back
Top Bottom