Sick pullet: can you combine Corid with ivermectin?

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Does anyone know if it's okay to combine these two medications? I'm not sure if my bird has coccidosis or worms.

Here are the details. Five-month-old American Gamefowl pullet. Symptoms include lethargy, listlessness, standing off by herself, but no visible signs of respiratory distress, no discharge, no blood in feces, no paralysis or other symptoms of Marek's. We had another one go through the same thing, and she slowly began to waste away and became weaker and weaker until she died.

Quote:
I wouldnt recommend giving both meds to your pullet at the same time, IMO it would be too much stress on her system. I suspect worms, not coccidia because you said you stated there wasnt any blood in her feces. I recommend you use valbazen (albendazole) to worm all your chickens. Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get. It is a liquid cattle and sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard chickens and 1/4cc on smaller chickens, it must be given orally. If your feed store doesnt carry it, you can order it online from jeffers livestock.com or you can call the number on their website.

I was just asking about this the other day... if you can worm with both corid and ivomec. It makes sense that it would be too stressful to do both. What method/treatment did you end up going with?

Here's a question... If you do worm with Ivomec (or any other type of wormer)... how long after that should you wait before you could worm with Corid for coccidia?

I don't use Corid and Ivomectrian together, I never really use Ivomectrian on very sick birds. I have used Corid and Safeguard together , but only use half the dose of Safeguard every other day so it does not kill the worms off too quickly and kill the bird from shock. You can have coccidiosis with out seeing blood, but at five months I'd lean towards worms.. But it is possible.

I was just asking about this the other day... if you can worm with both corid and ivomec. It makes sense that it would be too stressful to do both. What method/treatment did you end up going with?

Here's a question... If you do worm with Ivomec (or any other type of wormer)... how long after that should you wait before you could worm with Corid for coccidia?

Ivomec is something for worms. Corid is for coccidiosis, which can kill a chicken real quick. What I do is treat the coccidiosis first because that's kindof an emergency. After their treatment, you can worm.

If your chicken is sick with coccidiosis, the stool does not have to have blood. There are 6-9 different types of cocci and only one causes bloody stools-common in chickens, but not having bloody stools is common too..

Ivomec is something for worms. Corid is for coccidiosis, which can kill a chicken real quick. What I do is treat the coccidiosis first because that's kindof an emergency. After their treatment, you can worm.

Yup, I know the two treatments are different, Cocci isn't even a worm, it's a parasite. Same with dogs, strongid isn't going to kill coccidia but Albon will....etc...

But you did answer the thread's question and mine... which do you do first for your chickens if you're unsure, treating for Cocci first makes complete sense. Thank you :)

Now... say you do treat for Cocci...how long after that can the chicken(s) be wormed with ivomec...two weeks? A month?

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but hoping someone can answer. I've dealt with coccidia and worms in the past. Corid in larger doses has helped my birds (recommended amount did not) and ivermectin has helped clear worms. I have a single bird displaying symptoms of either. Initially, I suspected worms and treated her with Ivermectin but she seems worse in the past day. I thought to start with Corid today but wanted to check first if the 2 meds were contraindicated and found this post. I don't want to lose her. Is it possible to treat with Corid even though she just received the Ivermectin?

Back
Top Bottom