Sick pullet, possibly Coccidiosis--Need advice fast!

I don't want to sound harsh or rude, really, but these things almost always start and end the same way... People post on Monday with similar symptoms, they don't weigh their birds, so they don't realize that they are losing weight each day until it's too late, which is almost always on a Friday night. By then they then can't get proper antibiotics or items to tube feed with and by Sunday the bird is usually dead. I really would love to be wrong here, and I'll be *very* happy for you if you bird pulls through.

You say you're going to use Tetroxy HCA-280, but how will you get your bird to drink enough water? This is where having a good broad-spectrum antibiotic in pill or injectable form is helpful, IMO.

-Kathy

No, you aren't being rude. I know that I should have noticed her illness earlier and that I should be tube feeding. But I just keep hoping that there is an easier way. In my opinion, she is eating enough on her own right now to stay alive, so I don't want to start tube feeding yet. If she seems to be getting lighter/eating less, though, I will consider tube feeding--I don't want her to starve to death.

I'm not worried about her not drinking enough water, as she is drinking a lot of water. Its a pity she can't get all of her nourishment from drinking...

Here's an update:

She's the same in terms of sickness. She is still acting sleepy and lethargic, is not eating on her own, and is having liquidy green droppings. She is drinking fine, though, when I put her in front of the water. She is quite weak and lightweight, and is rather listless (but still struggles when I handle her sometimes).

I've managed to get her to eat a total of ten spoonfuls of moistened feed, which is quite a bit. I have another person open up her beak, and then pop in pea-sized balls of feed. This works pretty well, and I'm going to continue giving her feed this way. I've also been giving her water mixed with sugar and honey, as well as applesauce. I gave her some egg yolk today as well, as Eggcessive suggested.

I've started her on the Tetroxy HCA-280,. and will have her one that for seven days. I don't know what her problem is, so I'm just going to try giving her an antibiotic. I'm not giving her any probiotics or yogurt, as they can interfere with the antibiotic. I have not wormed her, as she is weak, and it could do more harm than good at this point. If the antibiotic doesn't work, than worming her may be my last resort.

She just died a few minutes ago.
sad.png
hit.gif
She started breathing heavier and heavier, then made a few last noises and went into a series of convulsions. I wish I knew what the problem was... I'm considering doing my own necropsy.

R.I.P. #86 (she never had a name, just a band-number)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom