sick pullet

flyingfilly

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
WI / IL border
I am in a bit of a quandry.....I have a sick pullet from the farm where our 4H group helps out and can care for the animals they show. This little silver sebroght had what looked like an injury to her eye, so being the softie that I am, I brought her home to care for her. Well her eye looked cloudy so I was rinsing it out a couple times per day. I also noticed when she came home, that she has some discharge from her nose as well.The discharge started to get less over the next couple of days, and she was opening her eye some. Then yesterday the other eye swelled a bit and she won't open that one now.......still a bit of nasal discharge. Because she will only occasionally open both eyes she won't eat much.
When I brought her home, she weighed 12 ounces and was very, very thin. She now weighs almost 15 ounces, but is still thin. I just started adding a packet of the probiotics and vitamins to her water. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

She isn't my chicken so I cannot take her to the vet........and the farm owner won't.

Brigitte

With the swollen eye and nasal disharge this is most likely a respiratory infection, like CRD or coryza. Does the nasal discharge have a bad smell to it? Whatever you do do NOT get her anywhere near your chickens as this is very contagious and even after a bird is treated it carries it for life and spreads it to other birds.

No smell to the discharge. She is opening her eyes again more, and she is ravenous. She seems more active, and she is trilling away contentedly now. Hopefully this continues. She is away from my other birds, although I did have her outside in a crate for a couple days in the yard.

I would look at info on CRD (mycoplasma) and infectious bronchitis and see if either of those match up well to what she has. You can treat for CRD since it's a bacteria but she will carry it for life. IB however is a virus and must just run its course.

She has a few symptoms of most of the respiratory illnesses, but pretty much very mild. Probably now what I started noticing yesterday is her head movement. If she doesn't have her head tucked under her wing, then she is doing a sideways head bob. It looks like she is reading a book often with her eyes closed. She opens her eyes to eat and she'll open her left eye when things are going on around here, but her right eye only occasionally. Her right eye seems to be a bit cloudy but little or no discharge now.

I took a video with my phone but it said the program doesn't support it.

She sure moves a lot!

Back
Top Bottom